Finally got my 360!

Discussion in 'Games' started by markjones05, Jan 24, 2006.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I finally got my pre-ordered xbox360 that I was suppposed to recieve before christmas. I got perfect dark zero and call of duty 2, both of which are amazing. I'm currently completely hooked on cod2. It's very engaging from the get go. Graphics are incredible even on my standard def tv. What are some other good games out now or comming out in the near future that I should look out for?

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Congrats.....on getting your system after a long wait. happy playing.
    oh and get King Kong is nice.

Bless

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

PGR3. Get it. It's my favorite 360 game.

And if you have an Xbox Live connection, get Geometry Wars Evolved. It's only about $5 or so, but totally worth it.

5. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Buy:
    PGR3
    Condemned
    Geometry Wars $5 (free demo included in PGR3)
    Mutant Storm:Reloaded $5
    Dead or Alive 4 (only if you love fighting games - very hard!)

rent:
    King Kong
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Play Hexic every now and then, between FPS sessions, to stay smart!

gamertag: aphexor

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have call of duty, definitely a must of game for the 360. I just barely started the american levels (play way too much Halo 2), they are intense.

I downloaded the PGR3 demo, I thought it looked nice but I got tired of constantly having to worry about hitting walls and such. I also downloaded the the Need For Speed - Wost Wanted and that was a ton of fun. I love the challenge where you have to get through 6 police barricades. While the graphics aren't quite as nice as PGR3, I think it feels faster and more exciting.

Condemned looks like a cool game, probably only worth renting though as once you play it one time, it won't be as scary the second time through.
    I am going to be picking up PDZ soon, I like that you can do co-op missions with someone, that is always fun.

The Fight Night Demo is ridiculous. I was never into fighting game but this one is amazing, the most fun demo yet. The graphics are amazing and the game play is great. I will be getting that game when it is out.

Instead of buying the Play-and-charge kit and then another battery for my second controller, I just bought some rechargeable batteries and a charger. My total was $15 for some energizers, less than half of the total of the 360 batteries and I never have to worry about having a cable from the system.

7. Vster macrumors 6502

Congrats!
    DoA 4 is nice bit very hard. Also I saw a preview for Prey (a FPS coming out for 360 & PC in June). It looks really cool with crazy gravity effects and stuff.:)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... Prey... as in the old 3D Realms game :eek: lordy I thought that was cancelled! Must get that for my PC!

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

In addition to Call of Duty 2, I also have NBA Live 06, which I am very pleased with. Of course, I can only reccommend it to you if you like the sports games...otherwise it would be a waste for you...:p

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just as you get your's.. I sell my spare 360 today :)

So far games I have are

COD2 - great game, but they have to sort out the chronic lag that goes on online..

Perfect Dark Zero - Ok single player, but great onlive. I love syphilis! - oh sorry infection :D It's easy to hook up a quick match or dark ops and even if someone drops out the game contiues whilst it automatically finds the best host. How every multiplayer game should be.

Quake 4 - very average single player - very poor multiplayer. What the f**k were ID doing whilst this was in development over at Raven? I'm not holding my breath for Quake: Enemy Territory.

Need 4 Speed - Really nice graphics. One of the first launch titles that really make use of antialising on everything.. Framerate can get chuggy, the demo version is actually smoother.

Ridge Racer 6 - Bland graphics, but great gameplay. Just like the psp version and it plays great online too - bar one exception.
    Do not have Windows Connect enabled on your 360 or online play will be ridiculously laggy.

PGR3 - I like the cockpit view, some of the tracks look great but the detail on people in crowds is pisspoor, some of the tree's look like they belong in need for speed on the 3D0. Online is good and I like the PGR TV 'idea' - more than the end result.

Amped 3 - It's a grower and whilst graphics aren't the hottest - remember Amped 2 ran at 1080i on the normal Xbox, it's still a good game. A rent more than a buy I think..

Kameo - See this game on a big screen in 720p or 1080i and it looks amazing. Everydetail is beautiful and it bodes well for the Next Gen machines. If a game that's basically been ported and vamped from the cube - to the xbox and then finaly onto the 360 can look this good, I can't wait to see what we'll have in the second or third generation titles.. If you like rare games like Starfox Adventures then you'll like it..

Condemned - Great, great game. From same developers Monolith as FEAR it's a corker of a launch title and one that Sega as publishers must be over the moon about aquiring. Probably the launch title we'll be talking about in a couple of years time.

Dead or Alive 4 - AAA title that is stunning to look at and play with. If your a fight buff it's a compulsory purchase.

King Kong - Too much Skull Island, it begins to grate. Not enough City, it would have been nice to have some FPS sections rather than the poor bloody monkey. An easy way to unlock 1000 achievement points though, rent it :)

-----

Xbox Live Arcade

Geometry Wars - is simple, great fun and addictive. For 6 quid, $10 it's a steal.

Zuma - Average puzzler. Demo try - did not purchase

Bejeweled - Average puzzler. Demo try - did not purchase

Hexic - You already have :) Unless you didn't get the HD

Outpost Kaloki X - average RTS that's too simple = samey as you get on.

That's everything on my Box.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You know what games I wish they'd push into the arcade? LOADED and RELOADED from the PS X. Those were awesome games. Just run through various building shooting things everywhere. Insane.

But, yeah, I'vbe got NHL 2K6, DOA 4, PDZ, COD 2, and PGR 3. DOA 4 and COD2 are the most needed, even though for some stupid reason the RANKED MATCHES in COD2 don't rank yet. I own in multiplayer on that game. 3/5 times ina Deathmatch game I will be number one, the other 2/5 I will be In a tleast the top three. I don't know why, I just own even more than I did at Halo 2.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed Loaded & ReLoaded were great and would suit Xbox Live Arcade - as long as they can cram the entire game into the 50mb arcade limit...

Mind you what makes me laugh is a game like Gauntet or Joust which you get the rom for is only a few kb, and yet on live they are 25mb?? They don't even look any better :confused:

COD2 has too many bugs on live. Come on Activision - release the patch now :D

13. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Yes Loaded and Reloaded would be a ton of fun, although since its a Sony franchise (of sorts) don't be expecting it anytime soon.

I would love to see:

-Worms 2
    -X-men (the arcade one with 4 screens)
    -Sonic CD
    -Duke Nukem 3D
    -Pong HD (for free) \
    -Breakout HD (for free) / How you could get these two in HD...I don't know.

14. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

When I had a 360 (I got the infamous red circle of death...hopefully they will send it back to me soon...:rolleyes: ) I played Kameo, COD2, and PDZ... Kameo is probably my favorite game just because I like the action/adventure type games... but COD2 isn't that far behind.

Oh yeah... download the Fight Night Round 3 demo from Marketplace... me and my buddies played that game pretty religously

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I fogot to mention that on my list... It's looking sweet indeed :D

I got the three quadrant ring of death too on Dec 24th... Took till Jan 11th before I got my replacement 360.. I guess because of the holidays..... At least I had a spare to tide me over.. Now that's sold, this one better not die :)

Has Full Auto Demo arrived on marketplace in the States yet? Not here in Ireland any way and really want to give it a try..

16. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I got a 360 yesterday from Target at 8 AM. They had 6 of them which surprised me.

I bought COD2 and Condemned to start off with. COD2 is addictive, but I really enjoy Condemned. The graphics are amazing and this is the first game for me that actually scares me when I play it.

I think I'll wait and see what's on the horizon before buying any other games. If I really need one, I'll get Kameo.

BTW, I remember when the 360 first came out people were having problems with the power bricks getting really hot, but I haven't experienced that at all. I had the console on yesterday for about 4 straight hours and the brick was barely warm. Has MS fixed the problem or did I get lucky?

17. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Ive had my 360 since new years, the first game I got was kameo which looks beautiful and is a really good game. And yesterday I picked up COD2 which is amazing and addictive. Anyways have fun with your new 360.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Interestingly I got two 360's at launch. I used one mainly and put the other in the office. However the one I used often in my bedroom suffered from the three red ring of death. I rang Microsoft and they sent me a coffin to return my xbox for replacement. However whilst that was away, I brought the one from the office back into my bedroom and hooked it up to the same power supply. I have subsequently played for hours on this machine, and have a good stint on live each night and have yet to have any hardware stutter. No lock-ups of any description.

I think the powerbrick got a lot of 'heat' if you excuse the pun, but probably wasn't the main area of trouble with those faulty xboxs. Looking on the 360 forum, people blamed the power supply for the three red light failure, even though Microsoft's own documentation/knowledgebase tell you it's an internal hardware failure.

There is a chance your 360 could die, but hey Microsoft in my experience were helpful and sorted everything out. A courier to deliver a box. A courier to collect the box. A courier to deliver replacement... Must cost them a lot, but I'm grateful for that quality of service.. Well done microsoft..

19. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

For all those who say DOA 4 i very hard what exactly does that mean? Do you mean hard compared to its predecessors or hard if you've never played a DOA game before. Ive played both DOA3 and DOA Ultimate and am a force to be reckoned with online.

20. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I meant hard if you've never played a DOA game, but some original DOA veterans have complained that because the AI is so much better and also takes advantage of juggling combos more, DOA4 also seems hard for a DOA game. For example, even in the lowest difficulty setting ("normal"), once certain characters get you in a combo, you might not even get in another hit before you're down. Of course there's supposed to be a complex yet effective countering system available to cut those combos short, but learning them is supposed to be a challenge, so such a resource really can't be seen as something that totally offsets the difficulty.

Of course, if you're a "force to be reckoned with", then I'm sure you're up to the challenge, and may not even find the game all that difficult.

So I guess my warning was mainly addressed to those who, despite being generally good with fighters, may not want to invest themselves fully in one or two characters just to be able to beat the game in normal mode. I personally was hoping the game would have a slightly easier lowest-difficulty setting so that my girlfriend, who surprisingly enjoyed the old Mortal Combat games on their easiest settings, could start enjoying DOA4's eye candy by button mashing, and without getting too frustrated by being trounced by every AI opponent after the first couple in story mode.

Objectively speaking, however, games should be hard, but not be accessible only to fans of earlier installments of the particular fighter franchise.

Ninja Gaiden, for example, was considered too hard by even fairly skilled arcade fighting fans. Most complained that, while NG was not impossible, it often required 20-30 attempts or more just to beat a single boss near the beginning, which seemed to compromise the fun factor a bit by frustrating the attempt to stay immersed in the narrative.

The developers of Ninja Gaiden Black addressed this complaint by adding an easier difficulty setting, unlockable only by those who had failed repeatedly for some time early in the game. Such catering to less talented (or less committed, time-wise) players apparently didn't debase the NG's high standard of gameplay, since NG Black's overall game difficulty (in the harder modes) had been (reportedly) jacked up to accomodate experienced players hoping to "bring it on" and really get their money's worth.

Getting back to your question, I say buy DOA4 if you like challenges and are a DOA fan. Everyone else proceed appropriately informed of its no-holds-barred difficulty, or rent first if you really hate being frustrated.

21. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

If you are a hardcore FPS player, get Quake 4. It not all that bad (better than what Doom 3 ever was)

22. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

WOW really great response. When posting on a forum you never really know what kind of feedbak you're going to recieve, but every once in a while you get something like this. I appreciate the info and time spent on writing such a thoughtfull response. It really answred my question in full, above and beyond what I had hoped for. Knowing this, I cannot wait to buy this game. I hope to see you online.
    Gamertage: LoyalDAWG

23. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Don't mention it. (ok, glad you mentioned it :)

Anyway, I haven't played online yet, and am only beginning to memorize some of the special character moves. So maybe we can have the arrangement that, for the first 10 times or so you beat me, you can't say they word "pwned" or any of its variants. After that you're free to brag left and right like any typical live player.

cheers

gamertag:Aphexor

24. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

So im dyin to get DOA4 but both my roomates are sayin they dont really like fighting games blah blah blah. How do i show them that this game is fun? I dont want to buy it and not have anyone to play against. I have Live but my connection here has been really shotty.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Honestly, I don't have anyone to play wioth either. Tell your room mates to get some taste.

I've beaten DOA 4 with every character. The AI in the normal game isextremely hard the higher you go. The last character is a pain in the ass. She has two moves of which can take your health down by half. Get hit with each one once in a match and your dead. She's quick, but a running attack can generally catch her off guard. Don't try to back hger into a corner, because she'll teleport directly behind you and beat the piss out of you.

There are a lot of secrets in the game too. DOA 4 is a great game. Even for someone like me, who had no difficulty on the previous isntallments (I've been a HUGE fan of DOA since the 2nd one) beating it on the hardest level, yet the new countering system has left me a little uneasy and the difficulty is notched up significantly. The addition of more objects to jump over/throw opponants over and into is nice. Especially when fighting in traffic, or being able to jump on top of a rope and do a special attack coming down.

Great game.