Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mRedly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
well I gave in and bought the iBook! it is really really neat. took me several hours to get wireless internet working, but only because I was using a belkin router.

Now that I have it, my first apple product ever (and my free mini ipod) any recommendations? Apps? Podcasts? protective sleeves? bags?

For all you people waiting, go ahead and buy it, it is an awesome computer!

-mRedly (comfortably sitting on the couch typing on the new iBook)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mRedly said:
well I gave in and bought the iBook! it is really really neat. took me several hours to get wireless internet working, but only because I was using a belkin router.

Now that I have it, my first apple product ever (and my free mini ipod) any recommendations? Apps? Podcasts? protective sleeves? bags?

For all you people waiting, go ahead and buy it, it is an awesome computer!

-mRedly (comfortably sitting on the couch typing on the new iBook)

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy!
BTW I also have an ipod mini and love it (beats the heck out of my Sony minidisc player) although mine wasn't free :rolleyes:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
RAM.
Lots and lots of RAM!

It'll make your iBook go even more smoothly than it does now.

For IM, I suggest adiumX. It supports AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, yada yada yada. It's soooo customizable. I have Homer Simpson yelling when I get a new message, hehe.

Another app is OpenOffice if you don't have M$ Office. It's an open source, FREE, no-cost, awesome, FREE, gratis office suite. It's awesome. Make sure you have X11 installed so you can run it. :)

the GIMP is to photoshop what openoffice is to Office. Awesome, open source, free, completely free Image manipulation program. Awww yea.

And, it's free.

Did I mention it was free?

Oh yeah, they're all free, FYI. :)

PS
they're free. :D :D :p

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
katie ta achoo said:
RAM.
Lots and lots of RAM!

It'll make your iBook go even more smoothly than it does now.

Agreed. Maxing out your iBook G4's ram (1.25GB DDR266) is a good idea.
More RAM = Faster Mac

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
Congrats on your switch. Definitely go with more ram, preferably maxed out. I'd also recommend a screen protector from radtach, they protect the screen from the keyboard when the notebook is closed and can also be used to clean the lcd! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.