FINALLY Got The Long-Awaited iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psycoswimmer, Dec 25, 2006.

1. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

So, I finally got it. After a half-a-year's worth of waiting, it's really nice to have. (I know, I have to update my sig.) Everything is so sleek and clean. :) At first, I couldn't connect to my Airport but resetting the Airport did the trick. I'm running software update right now and it's on the last of 12, the OS update to 10.4.8. I also love Front Row, I've never seen it in person before and it's very nice. Also, I love the keyboard. :D So, everything "just works" and I had to share the experience.

If anyone wants to post any tips or anything, thats fine. And, does Safari have a built-in spell-checker? I'm used to it from Firefox 2, so I was just wondering.

EDIT: Does Safari have tabbed browsing? I can't figure it out...

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Yes, it does. In preferences, you need to click a check box. Then, it's Apple*T for quick command.

Congrats.

3. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Like ricksbrain said, Safari does have tabbed browsing, but you have to go into Preferences and enable it as it's disabled by default (Safari->Preferences->Tabs->Enable tabbed browsing). As for spellcheck, it's not just Safari but any Cocoa-application. Spellcheck is system-wide in OS X (just one of the many little things about OS X that you're going to grow to love).

Merry Christmas!

5. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I just watched a bit of The Incredibles to try out Front Row. The whole interface is extremely nice. Now to just get a keyboard to use with GarageBand... :D

Merry Christmas!

6. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

One more question...

I forgot to ask this: I got the $100-rebate printer with my Mac. It's a HP Photosmart C-3180. Should I install and use the CD that came with the box? Or should I just plug in the printer?

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ah yes I actually had a chance to use an one of the newer iMacs at work the other day and I have to say I was impressed with the screen quality. I think it was a 20" but I'm not sure, but the fugly chin disappears when your using it.

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I suggest you use firefox for the tabbed browsing until apple addresses some of the lacking features such as the ability to drag the tabs around. This should take place with leopard.

9. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

It will most probably work if you just plug it in.

"Plug it in and BOOM" lol

10. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Oh yeah I also suggest you get a bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse, they are great finishing touches to the iMac.

11. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I was going to. I have to agree, the clutter from the wires kind-of ruins it (a little). :D How's the battery life on them? I don't want to be switching batteries weekly...

12. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

gotta love Steve Jobs

13. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I am not sure about the battery life for the bluetooth keyboard but my wireless mighty mouse gets excellent battery life. And OS X gives you a nice battery indicator letting you know the current battery level. I hope to get a bluetooth keyboard today (after work of course) with all the gift cards/money I got from Christmas. Enjoy the iMac...it's a beautiful machine.

Cheers.

14. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

15. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i saw the whole spell check thingy earlier in the thread, but can't access it. how do i exactly do that?

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well it's on by default. It'll put red lines under misspelled words in text boxes (as long as you're in a Cocoa app like Safari, Mail, TextEdit, Adium, etc). You can run spellcheck like you would in Word by going to Edit->Spelling->Spelling or by pressing command-shift-colon :) ).

17. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I seem to burn through batteries on the Mouse but the Keyboard has been going strong since I bought my iMac in late September. I would spend the money and get rechargables and a 15 minute quick charger. That's what I did.

Another plus of the wireless keyboard/mouse is that it frees up USB space. You only get three ports, so make the most use of them.

Another suggestion speaking oF USB, get on Newegg and order a few USB extesnsion cables. They are only $1-2 a piece (versus what the stores will charge) and are great for Flash Drives or hooking up cameras. You aren't reaching in the back of your computer all the time :).

18. cynerjist macrumors regular

Please please remember to mail in the rebate. Do it now, if you haven't already!!!

19. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I wonder what % of the population who buys items with rebate options actually exercise them.

20. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

When I got my printer, I just plugged it in and it was good to go. I got the same deal you did. Have fun

21. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I was wondering why my printer exploded....

Congrats on the new mac!

22. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Really the software is more for other management options such as ink density, etc.

It will print right out of the box without software.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is so fantastic! You will certainly love that machine!

24. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Congrats on your buy!!! :)