Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
dumb question: will you be able to buy a general market, possibly "better" ssd that will fit the MBA in 4-5 months? the ssd is swappable, right?

How are you going to get better than what Apple is now offering? OWC is your only alternative, anyway. They used to be ahead in speed a few years ago vs. what Apple offered, but not anymore.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Just ran the blackmagic test on my new MBA with the 256 GB flash drive, and got 706 MB/s write and 729 MB/s read.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Where Do I see my screen's brand?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 2.21.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 2.21.01 PM.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 187

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
Where Do I see my screen's brand?

 > (hold the alt key) System Information... > SATA/SATA express > Model

Mine says "APPLE SSD SM0256F" :D it's a Samsung!

http://i.imgur.com/3RijQOv.png

And holy cow, it shows...

Please ignore that, I read "my disk's brand". In order to know your screen's brand, run this command:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If there's an "LP" prefix, you've got an LG screen.

More info: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-...lay-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

Last edited:

alpha754293

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
my apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just bought my 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2013) (new) and my write speeds on the PCIe SSD is only ~320-ish MB/s and the read speeds are ~700 MB/s and I was wondering why it might be so slow.

I have a SD0128F.

Blackmagic is showing 316 MB/s write. But if I run time -p dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=10240, it comes out to around 330 MB/s.

(And by comparison, my Intel 520 240 GB SATA 6 Gbps SSD reads and writes at sub 550 MB/s).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Oh and I'm already running OS X 10.9.4, with all of the latest updates installed).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 2.41.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 2.41.48 AM.png
    90 KB · Views: 103

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
my apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just bought my 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2013) (new) and my write speeds on the PCIe SSD is only ~320-ish MB/s and the read speeds are ~700 MB/s and I was wondering why it might be so slow.

I have a SD0128F.

Blackmagic is showing 316 MB/s write. But if I run time -p dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=10240, it comes out to around 330 MB/s.

(And by comparison, my Intel 520 240 GB SATA 6 Gbps SSD reads and writes at sub 550 MB/s).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Oh and I'm already running OS X 10.9.4, with all of the latest updates installed).

That's normal for a 128 SanDisk Drive. I have the base model rMBP and my speeds are roughly the same. I wouldn't worry about it. In everyday use you will not be able to tell a difference. The larger capacity drives also tend to be faster. My wife's 2014 13"MBA has a Samsung and it has read and write speeds over 500 and there is no noticeable difference in usage between hers and mine.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
The 64GB drives are slow. the 128GB are faster, and then you get faster with the 256gb and real fast with the 512gb. So make sure you compare not only brand but also size
I think the size of your drive is the reason for some of the slower speeds, but that does seem a little off

alpha754293

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
That's normal for a 128 SanDisk Drive. I have the base model rMBP and my speeds are roughly the same. I wouldn't worry about it. In everyday use you will not be able to tell a difference. The larger capacity drives also tend to be faster. My wife's 2014 13"MBA has a Samsung and it has read and write speeds over 500 and there is no noticeable difference in usage between hers and mine.

The 64GB drives are slow. the 128GB are faster, and then you get faster with the 256gb and real fast with the 512gb. So make sure you compare not only brand but also size
I think the size of your drive is the reason for some of the slower speeds, but that does seem a little off

Well, I was wondering if the performance would suffer more because my MBA only has 4 GB of RAM, so it would likely end up needing to swap more to disk, and so the speed of the SSD will affect the swap performance, since it seems inevitable that it will do that in the future.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Well, I was wondering if the performance would suffer more because my MBA only has 4 GB of RAM, so it would likely end up needing to swap more to disk, and so the speed of the SSD will affect the swap performance, since it seems inevitable that it will do that in the future.

I understand where you are coming from as I initially had those thoughts as well but I don't think it is something you will notice. I can take my base model 4GB/128SSD(with slower San Disk) rMBP and put it next to my wife's base model 4GB/128SSD(faster Samsung Disk) Air and open all of the same programs while pushing both machines hard and there is no speed difference to speak of. While they aren't both the exact same machine(one Air and one pro), they both have the same ram and the same sized SSD so in theory they should be similar.

In the end it all amounts to what you are happy with. In my opinion, the San Disk performs greatly and if I hadn't ran Black Magic, I would never know the difference.

Also if you play the exchange game there is no guarantee you won't keep getting San Disk again:)

alpha754293

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
I understand where you are coming from as I initially had those thoughts as well but I don't think it is something you will notice. I can take my base model 4GB/128SSD(with slower San Disk) rMBP and put it next to my wife's base model 4GB/128SSD(faster Samsung Disk) Air and open all of the same programs while pushing both machines hard and there is no speed difference to speak of. While they aren't both the exact same machine(one Air and one pro), they both have the same ram and the same sized SSD so in theory they should be similar.

In the end it all amounts to what you are happy with. In my opinion, the San Disk performs greatly and if I hadn't ran Black Magic, I would never know the difference.

Also if you play the exchange game there is no guarantee you won't keep getting San Disk again:)

Hmmm....

I'm not sure if I would notice the difference or not eventually because I tend to have several HUNDRED Firefox tabs open (the joys of doing research)...so...that tends to tax the system quite a fair bit...(which also tends to lead to a lot of swapping...)

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hmmm....

I'm not sure if I would notice the difference or not eventually because I tend to have several HUNDRED Firefox tabs open (the joys of doing research)...so...that tends to tax the system quite a fair bit...(which also tends to lead to a lot of swapping...)

Several hundred???? How in the hell do you keep up with them?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Excellent spatial reasoning skills??? (Loose memory of what they are by position...)

I don't think you will have any problems with the San Disk. I am currently on my base model rMBP (4GB/128 San Disk) with 40 active tabs in Safari, 40 open tabs in Chrome, iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto, Spotify, Word, Excel, Numbers, iTunes, all running simultaneously (much higher multitasking than my normal use) and have yet to have any lag or beach ball spinning. I am swapping but still flying as if I had a maxed out machine. I am trying to slow it down but it just keeps going:)

alpha754293

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
I don't think you will have any problems with the San Disk. I am currently on my base model rMBP (4GB/128 San Disk) with 40 active tabs in Safari, 40 open tabs in Chrome, iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto, Spotify, Word, Excel, Numbers, iTunes, all running simultaneously (much higher multitasking than my normal use) and have yet to have any lag or beach ball spinning. I am swapping but still flying as if I had a maxed out machine. I am trying to slow it down but it just keeps going:)

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.