Finally! My parents are considering a Mac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Coca-Cola, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Here is a message from my parents.

I think you may have convinced me to buy a Mac. Should it be a notebook or a desktop? How would I hook up a printer? This will be a ways off, but I need to investigate. What is your best advice? I know I should have wireless, right? What else? I would like to stay below $1500.

Help me seal the deal.

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Notebook/desktop - depends on how you are going to use it. I would hazard a guess at desktop.

Printer - just plug it in. Brother and HP usually come with extra software to install, but usually most just work.

Wireless? Dunno what you mean but that is built in.

For under $1500, you can get a 17 or 20 inch iMac. Both are probably very suited to your needs.

Also, you can save a fair bit of money at the Refurb store on the Apple site.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

20" imac refurb. (or buy from amazon with the rebate). connect the printer to the USB port silly:D .

sigh.. if only my parents would do this. My step-mother wanted a mac and my dad insisted on a Dell... which has been repaired and replaced more times than can be counted on an abacus. At least she now, after seeing my MB, won't budge next time... My dad, on the other hand, doesn't know what the non-MS world looks like.

4. neyoung macrumors member

If they want a portable the MacBook should do fine. As far as the desktops go, the 17"/20" iMacs should land withing budget. If you want to save a bit of money look into Amazon or MacConnection. You won't pay any tax, shipping, and will often get a rebate. I used MacConnection and everything went very smoothly.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'd go with the refurb 20" iMac or the middle-speced white Macbook. The refurbs are a great deal, and you sometimes even get free "goodies" (larger hard drive, more RAM, etc). If the purchase is a while off, make sure you wait until Santa Rosa is released (probably in May).

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I guess it depends on how your parents are going to use it.

A 17" iMac may be a good choice. Some have mentioned a 20" refurbished iMac. I think either would be a good choice.

A desktop may be the best choice unless your parents are going to need a laptop. With a desktop, iMac in this case, you get more for your $ by giving up portability. Although, you can tote a 17" iMac around. Not easy but you can.

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Depending on what your folks want to do the Mac Mini is the way to go for price. Check the refurb items as well. Then the iMac would be next for value/feature set. Depends on what they want to accomplish. I always say get as much machine as you can afford.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Congrats!!!!

Mine bought a 23" ACD & MacPro last week!!! I'm still in shock - if you had told me a year ago my Dad would go back to Apple......

Happy shopping - my Grandma loves her iMac.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my rent just got a 20" imac...and they love it b/c it "just works"

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

20'' iMac is the best option. The 17'' iMac just seems too small and uncomfortable in comparison.

11. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have a 17" iMac G5 and I find it to be a great size. Now that the 24" is out there are more people who want the 20", compared to the 17" because they dropped so much in price, but really the 17" is more than enough for more people...

12. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

I was lucky enough to grow up with Macs. My parents have always been Apple users. We've never owned a Windows computer. :)

For your parents I'd suggest the 20" iMac. Bigger screen for those old eyes. :p

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i would suggest you connect your printer to a router, so all of your computers can use it to print. Most printers have a ethernet port on it; if its USB, a few routers have a USB port as well.

15. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

The desktop or notebook question depends solely on how you want to use a computer and what you will do on it.
    If your family wants a notebook, and if you do play games a lot then I wouldnt recommend the MacBook. (I'm not saying the 950 is bad, because im typing on a MacBook right now) but i believe a family computer should be a desktop. That is why we have a desktop for my dad and everyone else besides my little brother has a notebook(i have the only mac:( or :D whichever way you take it)
    If you get a desktop, you would only need a wireless router if you do have other computers/notebooks. Its not demanded for the only computer or without a notebook.
    But if threre are other computers, i dont think you would need an apple branded router. Linksys and netgear run fine if you configure them the right way. And the printer should work perfectly if you dont need the wireless router
    I believe the 20 inch iMac or a 17 inch iMac with an upgraded processor and applecare works perfectly if you dont need a router and want a desktop.
    I love my Notebooks but Id recommend the iMac

16. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

My parents, are so close to buying the 20" iMac. My mom actually had the page loaded and is eyeing the purchase. Should they wait until Leopard comes out?

Thanks for all the help.

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Unfortunately it looks like Leopard is not going to appear as soon as we hoped.

Buy now ;)

FJ

18. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

as everyone says, "if you need it get it, and be willing to pay for leopard if you get it now." A 20 inch iMac can run leopard awesomely i bet so it will run but if you are willing to wait,then wait, and if not get it now and maybe wait until the small kinks in the OS are solved and then buy it(leopard)

:edit: FJ beat me

19. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

I think knowing that 10.5 may come out soon, may have scared them off. Darn it. I bet they will get an HP with Vista instead. I blew it.

20. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

On a side note, I don't think Vista is even on the top 20 software purchases on amazon.

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I will pray that they see the error of their ways ;)

FJ

22. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

well what sealed my deal with me getting a mac was the day i was going to compusa to pick up a sony VAIO, i passed by to look at the macs and i saw my video production teacher and he convinced my mom that i should get my macbook and I walked out with one too. If you can, let them experience a mac or have someone else recommend a mac to give them a second opinion maybe.

23. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually it's number 50 this evening.

24. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Maybe emphasise how Vista is new and has issues whereas Tiger is mature and works (8 major updates!). Also how Vista only just introduced the features Tiger has had already for ages (Search = Spotlight, Flip 3-D = a less useful version of Exposé, Gadgets = Widgets ... etc). And the fact that good security is a much more proven thing on the mac, whatever MS's claims are for Vista.

25. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Instead of focusing on features they absolutely would never use, focus on features that would be very beneficial to them. All my mom did on her PC was wait for websites to load. I not only showed her the speed of the mac, but how Mail automatically gets her mail, how she can easily view things in iCal (instead of a scribble pad in our kitchen called a calendar), and how she can find people more easily in Address Book. I also showed her the major improvements of Safari over IE like the Bookmarks Bar and built-in Google search and SnapBacks.

It's all about showing what they'll use and how beneficial it would be to them. My mom's loved her mac for the month she's been using it, which has been quite a bit.