Finally pulled the trigger...ordered a Blackbook this morning!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rovias, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Rovias macrumors member

Well, after two months of deliberation, I finally made a decision and am now upgrading from my iBook G4 to a brand new Blackbook! I am excited as heck and can't wait to get it, but I have some questions:

1) Any good deals on RAM? I'd like to up the RAM to 2 GB, or at least 1.5. Should I add RAM as soon as I get it or is 1 GB fine for the time being?

2) Should I get an Invisible Shield (or a skin from Best Skins Ever) since the Blackbook is prone to grease and fingerprints?

3) Can someone recommend a nice sleeve or a good laptop bag to keep my Blackbook in?

4) Anymore tips/advice to get the most enjoyment out of my new Blackbook? :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Are you going to put all your phone numbers in it.:D

3. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

Very clever. :) But I think if I did my wife would kill me!

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The machine works best with paired ram. RAM prices have just dropped (in the UK at least).

It's less prone to the grease than people make out (I have a C2D black macbook).

I love my STM sleeve it's ace. All black too :)

5. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

Could you send me a link to where I could obtain one? :D

6. boneca macrumors 6502

as for RAM G.Skill from NewEgg is pretty good for about $76 for a 1GB.
    Just yesterday I ordered 2GB for my MacBook I bought this past Sunday and it's arrived today (at least UPS web site says its delivered)

It's all about what you gonna do with your Mac. 1GB should be just enough for everyday tasks such as email, web browsing etc.
    The main reason I jumped on 2GB was Vista in Parallels after installing and while using it I noticed big performance loss with just 1GB.

7. HugMnster macrumors member

8. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

You might want to try the Techshell You can keep it safe and on display.

10. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

Looks nice, but a little too pricey for me. I was hoping for something in the $20-30 dollar range.

Thanks for the info anyway, though! :)

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm in the UK, I forget where I got it tho I could find it if pushed.

They're an Australian company.

12. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

No worries, I'll stop being lazy and run a Google search. :D Any other recommendations?

13. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I believe Frys has a deal on Kingston RAM for $69 shipped. Otherwise I'd go with G.Skill on Newegg.

The skins from both companies are exactly the same. Save 50% and buy from BSE.

Swiss Gear Synergy notebook backpack. I bought a sleeve off eBay, a few others have it (it's got an Apple logo on it) for about $20 shipped. It has memory foam as well as anti-shock polyurethane material.

Buy a silicone skin that protects the keyboard as well as palm rests (off eBay for less than $15 shipped) and an clear LCD screen protector (off eBay for less than $10 shipped). Trust me, it's worth the investment. Plus you don't want to accidentally spill anything or have fingerprints on your screen.

14. HugMnster macrumors member

15. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I think those look like they would be just fine for protecting against scratches and minor impacts, but as far as anything else, I wouldn't trust them. Also, I don't think I really like the whole burlap thing.

As far as I'm concerned with backpacks and sleeves, I'd trust just about anything from Brenthaven or Booq with my Blackbook. I'm currently using a Brenthaven Fusion messenger bag with a Booq Vyper sleeve, and don't think you'll get better protection from any other brands, short of going with a Zero Halliburton case.

16. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

It Shipped! :d

I checked the status this morning and they shipped it out yesterday! Certainly wasn't expecting this as it said it would be 5-7 days before shipping. According to Order Status on Apple.com, it will be here next Wednesday! :D Can't wait!!

I have my 2 gigs of RAM ordered from Fry's and a skin from Best Skins Ever on the way. Now I just need to decide on a sleeve and I think I'll be ready!

17. phil83 macrumors regular

IMHO about sleeves

First let me say that all sleeves will only protect you from scratches and very minor bumps. Their is one exception that I have been able to find and its the axio hard sleeve Is a little pricey but that Is the only product that I would might put my life on.

Now for applesac sleeves, I just got one last week and I really like the quality and earthy style of their bags. I have the original sleeve.

*Not displaying to the everyone else that you are carrying a computer.
    I like that it doesn't look like their is a computer in the sleeve. I also put the computer and sleeve in a backpack that does not say "look!, look! I'm carrying a labtop!". This is mostly important to me because I am in college in though I makes sure that when I leave the house that my MBP never leaves my side it is good to know that while I'm carrying around campus I am not displaying that I have a $2,500 dollar laptop. And this means a lot since I am applying to grad schools in NY and definitely don't want to get mugged for my laptop. But if your just going from the house to car to work to car to coffee shop then probably none of this really matters to you.

To note, I will probably move to the axio hard sleeve sometime this summer when I can more easily cough up the $80 something worth in change to buy it.:eek:

Hope this helps just some food for thought

18. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I found an Axio case for the MacBook and it was on sale. I was tempted to get it but to my dismay the increase in size that the case created made the MB too big to fit in my bag. Too wide.

19. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Get a macbook sleeve, why buy one that doesn't fit?

21. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

First of all, Congratulations!:D :)
    Second of all, reinstall your operating system clean and uncheck some options in the install like GarageBand (if you are not using it). Once the reinstall is finished, you should update your Mac with software updates and you go on from there.

22. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

23. ready2switch macrumors 6502