Finally seeing new PM rumors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vtprinz, Mar 31, 2005.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

macrumors has posted a little information on the page 2 section about possible PM upgrades at NAB in mid april. MOSR also seems to think the PM's are very near. In fact they think it will be the PM's first, then the consumer lineups (as talked about on macrumors front page). Of course MOSR isn't exactly reliable, and seeing that the macrumors article for the PMs is on page 2, it may not be all that reliable either.

Anyone have any opinions? Are new PM's really two weeks away?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, these are rumors, right? So, nobody knows for sure. It seems like good timing, but other than that ...

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

As usually nobody really know for sure. The Power Mac update could come at anytime. If it is a significant update, then it could be held off till Stevenote at WWDC.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

its been quite some time since we've seen upgraded PMs - it has to be soon and we all know its going to happen.

But then, in this case, soon is somewhat a relative term.

D

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I'm hoping we see 3Ghz finally. Maybe some of the PC users will stop saying, "Macs suck cuz they only go up to 2.5Ghz and can't do anything" :rolleyes: Course now they can say, "Macs suck cuz because you go to pay $3,000 (Or w/e the cost is on the high-end PM G5)"

Anywho, do hope we'll see 3Ghz. And oh yeah, 512MB ram as standard, none of this 256, and better video cards (especially with Tiger coming) :)

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

im ripping my hair out with these powermacs, but i tell you what - if they release a dual 3ghz (or some dual core dual 3ghz monster, which is the only thing that will make this thing bearable) and stick 512mb ram in it then that will be a huge insult to apple purchasers and apple fans

and a sloppy 5200 or 6800 isnt going to fly to much either

/rant

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Why would 512MB ram be bad? I was thinking they could go for 1GB, but do you really think Apple would do that and still keep the price the same?

True about the 5200, but I thought the 6800 was top dog? Guess I was wrong..... :eek:

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Jebus... I hope that two-button mouse is true...

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

yeah, that is what I thought too, maybe he doesn't like nVidea :confused:

10. themonk macrumors newbie

My educated guess is 6 months before shipping of new G5's.

Dual core across the entire line. Quads for all but entry-level. Processing power almost double across the line.

Same core speeds or a slight decrease across the line. Probably a slight decrease: 1.8, 2.0, and 2.3 sounds reasonable.

There will never be a 3.0 G5. The law of diminishing returns kicks in too hard.

Slight change in case and fix of several design flaws.

And it's going to be a home run. But you'll have to be patient...

11. mortey macrumors member

The 6800 Ultra is tied with the x800 xt Platnium Edition from ATi. Both can run todays games at their highest with incredible ease. Don't know what he's on...

btw....hi.

12. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm ambivalent about new PowerMacs. On the one hand, the longer we have to wait the more likely it will be that the updates will be large and impressive. On the other hand, I'm ready to buy so I don't want to have to wait any more.

Such a dilemma. :)

13. AppleAce macrumors regular

I'm ready to see the new PM G5's also. Although it is kind of nice that this has been the longest time during which I've owned a top-of-the-line computer from apple. The G4 was announced about 2 weeks after I got my 450 MHz B&W G3. :mad:

14. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

What will happen with the price

Ooh, nice vocab...

I am on the same page as you, I want to buy another Powermac for my house, although the one i have at work is plenty powerful enough, I would hate to spend the money and then have something great come out two weeks after...However, when, or if, the models of the PMs change, what will happen to the price. I am expecting if I have a model that I have readily configured and I have that price I want to spend, no more, maybe less, what will happen if I only want 512mb of ram but they make the standard 1 gig (this is "what if" talk...not set in stone) It isnt like they are going to give you 512 extra ram for free, there has to be some charge... :confused:

i like that <rant> </rant> thing, it had me laughing out loud!