Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Macaddicttt said:
I really like having these discussions, too. I hate it when Christians are portrayed as Bible-beating, ignorant fundamentalists, and I like putting a better face on Christians (well, some). I also like getting more people's opinions on things like this since I like to see things from all different sorts of points of view.

LMFAO dude telling someone they can't have sex with some one they love because you think it's immoral because the bible says so sounds pretty fundamentalist to me. You may of been polite about it but PUHLEESE!

Personally I don't care what people do in their own bedrooms, but then I also like masturbation and pre-marital sex I've been doing that for the last 5 years with my living in sin GF. Oh and the masturbation thing I think I'm f$cked I've been doing that for as long as I can.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
risc said:
LMFAO dude telling someone they can't have sex with some one they love because you think it's immoral because the bible says so sounds pretty fundamentalist to me. You may of been polite about it but PUHLEESE!

Personally I don't care what people do in their own bedrooms, but then I also like masturbation and pre-marital sex I've been doing that for the last 5 years with my living in sin GF. Oh and the masturbation thing I think I'm f$cked I've been doing that for as long as I can.
Macaddict didn't just say that it's wrong for gays to have sex with someone they love, he also said that doing so is weak-willed and self damaging.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Okay, this is going too far now. You just offended me! Someone better HOLD ME BACK!!!!

Hey, you gays and lesbians have it easy. At least you can have sex with the opposite gender (assuming you're married of course) and still be considered moral. I'm trans so I'm screwed no matter what gender I marry or sleep with.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
vniow said:
Hey, you gays and lesbians have it easy. At least you can have sex with the opposite gender (assuming you're married of course) and still be considered moral. I'm trans so I'm screwed no matter what gender I marry or sleep with.
See, now I'd think you'd have it easier. Because you could have sex with either and it wouldn't technically be "same-sex". At least as far as the fudamentalists are concerned. But then again, it must be sort-of confusing for you. Mostly, probably, thanks to societal influence. Were we more enlightened, this would not even be an issue. Watching my former girlfriend struggle with the truth about her sexuality thanks to the small-mindedness of those around her is eye-opening, yet I cannot imagine what you must go through thanks to those same types of people.

Perhaps people like myself are not helping... but please remember we do mean well, even if we do not fully understand. :eek:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
risc said:
LMFAO dude telling someone they can't have sex with some one they love because you think it's immoral because the bible says so sounds pretty fundamentalist to me.

the bible also dictates that they be put to death, although it specifically speaks about man on man, implying that woman on woman must be ok (and I suppose trans too).
It also goes to great lenght to list all types of incests that are not allowed (mother, mother in law, aunt, niece, sister, sister in law, adopted sisters and so on) but it cospicuosly omits the father-daughter relationship which was not forbidden. Go figure.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
ah, so there are still people that consider masturbation 'wrong'. I guess, there have been enough schizophrenics who felt that relieving themselves was wrong too, and you know what, they **** the bed in their sleep. Same thing happens to the non-masturbation crowd, only it ain't **** ;) But it's ok. God wouldn't peek in anyway.

when you've come to the point where you're willing to forsake natural, healthy, biological functions for a belief in an invisible man, i think you're too far past the point of reason to argue with... I mean, i stopped talking to my invisible friend when I was about 6, at some point I had to live in reality.

huck500, right on.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
risc said:

First of all, you must not know the definition of fundamentalism:

fundamentalism
n : the interpretation of every word in the sacred texts as literal truth

Just because I believe in strict rules doesn't make me a fundamentalist. And what right do you have to criticize my beliefs? They are not based on ignorance, but careful thinking and I came to them after thinking about them for many years.

Plus, I never tried to make you believe the same thing, so stop acting like I am. I don't care if you masturbate or have extramarital sex.

Please don't be so rude to me by making fun of my beliefs. I have reasons behind my beliefs, where you only seem to have "PUHLEESE!" If you want to give your beliefs, do so. But please don't bash mine.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
rainman::|:| said:
ah, so there are still people that consider masturbation 'wrong'. I guess, there have been enough schizophrenics who felt that relieving themselves was wrong too, and you know what, they **** the bed in their sleep. Same thing happens to the non-masturbation crowd, only it ain't **** ;) But it's ok. God wouldn't peek in anyway.

when you've come to the point where you're willing to forsake natural, healthy, biological functions for a belief in an invisible man, i think you're too far past the point of reason to argue with... I mean, i stopped talking to my invisible friend when I was about 6, at some point I had to live in reality.

huck500, right on.

Please see my response to risc. I don't understand why you people demand others to respect your beliefs and then promptly make fun of others. If you would like a discussion of the existence of God, start a thread in the political function. But please, don't just make these rude, off-hand comments that are simply designed to offend.

This one is especially bad, calling me a schizophrenic just because I believe something different than you and because I have a different set of morals. I can't believe your intolerance. It's absolutely astounding.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Macaddict didn't just say that it's wrong for gays to have sex with someone they love, he also said that doing so is weak-willed and self damaging.

I also said having extramarital sex was weak-willed and self damaging, even if it's with someone you love. Would you please stop singling out gays? I'm not, but you seem to want to something fierce.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
You know what? This thread has become ridiculous. It started about a Christian denomination accepting gay marriages, then evolved into people giving their opinions. Now we all have given our opinions, and obviously we don't agree. Now it's turned into "Attack Macaddicttt for his beliefs while we stand by ours while giving no reasons for them. We have the majority, so let's enjoy it while it lasts."

Now you guys are just as bad as the Bible-beating fundamentalists. You're just making fun of the opposition and saying "You're wrong because I said so." Please just stop. We're getting nowhere.

Macaddicttt said:
You know what? This thread has become ridiculous. It started about a Christian denomination accepting gay marriages, then evolved into people giving their opinions. Now we all have given our opinions, and obviously we don't agree. Now it's turned into "Attack Macaddicttt for his beliefs while we stand by ours while giving no reasons for them. We have the majority, so let's enjoy it while it lasts."

Now you guys are just as bad as the Bible-beating fundamentalists. You're just making fun of the opposition and saying "You're wrong because I said so." Please just stop. We're getting nowhere.

Nicely put Macaddicttt.

I may not respect your views, but I respect your right to have them. It's also noteworthy that you can see the difference between holding oppressive views and desiring to see them enforced upon everybody.

- j

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wow! This got interesting while I was sleeping! I think there's a lot of misunderstanding going on here. Macaddicttt has expressed his beliefs but also has said he has no intention of imposing them on others-legally or otherwise. In fact, he's against it. Even though I disagree with him, I still respect his right to his views and so should all of you. What's really disturbing to me is that this illustrates how much some people are not listening to each other these days.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
jayscheuerle said:
Nicely put Macaddicttt.

I may not respect your views, but I respect your right to have them. It's also noteworthy that you can see the difference between holding oppressive views and desiring to see them enforced upon everybody.

- j

Thank you very much, jayscheuerle.

And leeohler, I knew I could count on you. Thanks.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
leekohler said:
No problem. BTW- your band is funny. :)

Thanks. We do sorta go for the humor. We have a cover of Britiney Spears's Toxic, but we didn't record it due to copyright stuff... We also covered Stairway to Heaven.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Macaddicttt said:
Thanks. We do sorta go for the humor. We have a cover of Britiney Spears's Toxic, but we didn't record it due to copyright stuff... We also covered Stairway to Heaven.

Well- Britney Spears IS toxic as far as I'm concerned. :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Macaddicttt said:

I feel really bad for not backing you up in this thread. I share all of your views, even though I do commit some of the sins I stand against as much as I wished I didn't.

An early post I did on this thread had a phrase i threw in with the hope of making some people think, I said "0 tolerance with the Christian position". And that's what happens here. If you don't agree or don't condone every action of everybody, then it seems everyone has the right to bash and insult you. Isn't there any respect left?

No person is judging you, just expressing their opinions. Don't judge back. Much less in that way.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
colocolo said:
I feel really bad for not backing you up in this thread. I share all of your views, even though I do commit some of the sins I stand against as much as I wished I didn't.

An early post I did on this thread had a phrase i threw in with the hope of making some people think, I said "0 tolerance with the Christian position". And that's what happens here. If you don't agree or don't condone every action of everybody, then it seems everyone has the right to bash and insult you. Isn't there any respect left?

No person is judging you, just expressing their opinions. Don't judge back. Much less in that way.

Hold on! Did you read my earlier post? I backed up Macaddicttt several times here and we could not be more opposite each other. MacRumors is generally pretty good for discussions of this nature.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
colocolo said:
"0 tolerance with the Christian position".
And as I said, why should be be tolerant of your intolerance. You are welcome to your opinion, but so is everyone else. People are going to disagree, and some people are going to be jerks no matter which side they land on. You kinda have to expect that in a public forum, especially one of this nature.

Sorry to be so matter of fact, but if you can't stand the heat...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
solvs said:
And as I said, why should be be tolerant of your intolerance. You are welcome to your opinion, but so is everyone else. People are going to disagree, and some people are going to be jerks no matter which side they land on. You kinda have to expect that in a public forum, especially one of this nature.

Sorry to be so matter of fact, but if you can't stand the heat...

And according to the UCC, the Christian position is not the same in all denominations.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
solvs said:
I'm amazed that the people who do this can call themselves Christians. These are the same people who so strongly condemn fundamentalist Muslims for the same types of things. Guess this doesn't count as terrorism. :rolleyes: Hypocrites. Jesus would be rolling over in his grave.

Hmmm. "rolling over in his grave"? Not quite the Paul Harvey side of Christianity, I'd say ;)
X

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
You're right

leekohler said:
Umm- I didn't think Jesus was in a grave. :)

He is said to have "come out", isn't he?

;)

I've been sitting on the side on this one (which is strange for me) because, not being a UCC'er, I didn't have much to contribute to the "original" topic. It's actually kind of nice to sit back and watch. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.