Finally upgraded to 10.4 , Have a question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rocko918, Sep 19, 2006.

1. rocko918 macrumors member

When I did the upgrade I noticed all my applications now have a .app after them. Is this normal.

Next question is, I have the adobe suite and I get the updates for them every once and a while. Just last week one came through and I went to pick what to update and the program files where grayed out. Like the Photoshop application was not selectable. I was wondering if the extension .APP had anything to do with it?

Thanks for the help.

Roc

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All your applications have always had .app after them. This extension tells the system it's an application. It sounds like you had this hidden before but now you don't. There's a preference for that somewhere in the Finder...

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The .app extension has always been there, it was just the default preference before for applications to not show their extension suffix.

If the program was greyed out it probably didn't need updating.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

You can turn of the extensions by selecting "Preferences" in the "Finder" menu. Click on the "Advanced" tab and deselect "Show all file extensions".

5. rocko918 thread starter macrumors member

6. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I realised that too. I always had it set to show all file extensions, but it never showed the .app for Applications in the Finder, while all or most of the other extensions were displayed. I guess with 10.4 the Finder treats the applications same as every other file or directory.