Finally...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Abulia, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Some of you might remember my short, yet interesting, history w/ Macs. I became a switcher (actually, a swinger) about 6 months ago with a DOA G4 iMac. Shortly thereafter my wife's PC laptop was stolen so we replaced it with a 15" PB that we adore. Picked up an eMac that I've been using around the house until the iMac came out just to make sure I was happy with Macs.

Then the G5 iMac came out and I thought I had the computer I always wanted.

Turns out I was wrong. :(

After having the fan noise issue and plain not liking the computer, it went back to Apple yesterday. Today I called around and happened to run across a store with one of the "old" G5 SP 1.8 PowerMacs, unopened. Talked them into a pretty good price, I think.

I'm absolutely in love! :D

I've only been using it for a few hours but this is *THE* machine for me. Oooh, what a nice baby! Lots of expansion room, spiffy fast, decked out w/ 2.5 GB RAM and, best of all... as quiet as the wind. This PowerMac is several orders of magnitude quieter than the G5 iMac I had.

Here's hoping the unit doesn't have any problems down the road but right now, I'm just so pleased to have finally hooked up with the Mac that was right for me. Too bad I had to try every model to find the right one! :D

- Don
    (And in tribute, I'm using one of edesignuk's Keira pics as my desktop.)

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Glad to hear you like it.

What monitor are you using by chance?

3. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

A piece of junk Samsung 171v SyncMaster LCD. :) New monitors make excellent Christmas gifts!

Hey, speaking of which, anyone interested in a 3-month old eMac? I'll make a great price! :) (Uh, seriously...)

- Don

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, congrats. :)

As the iMac is a 1st gen and was recently released, they'll have everything sorted in a few months. Maybe they already have had all this fan noise business sorted, but I guess that's why you don't buy newly released 1st gen products -- you wait 3 months or so.

But whatever. As long as you have what you like, then I'm happy for you. :)