Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. It seems like since the latest Find My Friends update, a friend of mine's iPhone 4S won't update his location in the background. When I open the app, his location only updates if he opens the app. All my other friends on the app who have iPhone 5s, their location updates in the background and I can see their location. His is the only phone that doesn't background update. Location services are on, background updating for that app is set to on. We're both running the latest iOS 7 beta.

We've signed him out and back in, no good. Anyone else experiencing this on a 4S?

Last edited:

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I'm having the same problem and I can't find a solution. My wife never sees my location unless I open the app on my phone. I have checked and "Background App Refresh" is turned on. I just don't know what else to try, the app is pretty much useless right now.

cristovao

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2010
Calgary
I've been having a similar issue. I'm on a 5, wife's on a 4S on iOS6 and since jumping on the Beta (including up to now on the GM) she can't see my location unless I have FMF on, which defeats the purpose.

Funny thing is, I've tested with a co-worker who also has a 4S on iOS6 and he saw me no problem.

I'm hoping when they release an app update next week after public release this will go away.

BTW, I've been thinking lately the FMF function should just be embedded into Apple Maps as a toggle option. Would make much more sense, don't you think?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Were both phones updated to 7.0.2 and background refresh is enabled for both phones? It fixed for me and a number of others in another thread.

Yep, settings are all correct.

I believe it is a 5S issue (as neither phone works - you can't even find your own location)

Maps and Find My iPhone work as they should

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Yep, settings are all correct.

I believe it is a 5S issue (as neither phone works - you can't even find your own location)

Maps and Find My iPhone work as they should

Weird. I have a 5s and mine has worked correctly all along. A friend who had a 4s then got a 5, neither phone would background update so his location was never shown unless the app was running. The 7.0.2 update fixed it and his location is always available.

Some other things you can try are deleting and reinstalling the app, deleting your friend from your followers and then adding them back. Sorry if you've tried all of that before; just trying to think of things that may work. We tried all of that before to no avail, but 7.0.2 fixed it for us and many others.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
After removing and reinstalling the app a couple times, signing in and out numerous times, removing all friends and signing out, rebooting over and over and then sending new invites - I HAS SUCCESS !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.