Find my future mac for me.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Coca-Cola, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Ok, it is getting close to time for a new system. I have a iMac DVSE 400 with 640 megs of ram. I am running panther now, and it lags a lot.
    I use my mac for design, art, web design, email, music, photoshop. I use it a lot. Most of the day I spend it with my computer.
    My wife thinks we should get a laptop. Here opinion matters here a great deal. I would love a G5 though. I am not too sure I want a G4 right now, but I think I can find a good deal on a 867 12 inch powerbook. But I do need some major horse power for photoshop and web. It is getting close to time for a new machine I think. Am I right? Money is tight here as well. Help me.

2. niter macrumors 6502

What is your price range? For all that you do with it, it sounds like the 17" PB, would be the best laptop for you. I know the 15" is plenty big, but I read from numerous people on the board that the extra screen size comes in handy for the types of applications you do. Besides, if you are infront of it all day, the extra screen might be really nice.

When you use your computer, how does mobility come into play? If it does not matter much to you, then go with the G5.

3. niter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the stupid response...I did not read your last line...

I would still recommend the PB line for what you are doing or even a refurbished quicksilver G4.

If your computer is 400 MHz, then even the iBook will be a lot faster than what you are doing right now.

How do you feel about parting with your current computer? As you do web design, you could make a simple, but nice, eBay auction up. That extra bit you get from selling your current computer could be chipped in too.

4. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the powerbook advice. I think a 15 inch would be absolutely perfect. My price range is about 1500 dollars though. Any extra, I could do but it would be a little painful. I could get some money for my iMac as well. Nice. I think I will point my wife in that direction. Thanks.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

1. Get a used or refurb 1.6 GHz G5 for $1300 (or less - maybe they'll come down further).
    2. Sell the iMac for $400.
    3. Get a toilet seat iBook for $300 (make sure you get a rev. B), and up the RAM.

Everybody's happy.

Remember, laptops are a lot slower than desktops unless you really pay a lot of money... and IMHO no laptop is going to perform as fast as that 1.6.

6. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that whole G4 front side bus thing has me a little worried. I am sure it would be faster than my iMac, but if a G5 powerbook actually came out, I would be very pissed. A G5 would be so nice, but so would be do some work in the coffee shop downtown away from home. Darn. I am still unsure.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You could wait for the PowerMac speed boosts, then get the new low-end PM, or get a really good deal on the "old" PMs (1.6, DP 1.8) at that time.

Just a thought. I think the PB would be excellent in your situation as well.