'Find My iPhone' App Updated With Driving Directions to Device Location

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has updated its Find My iPhone iOS app with the ability to display driving directions to the lost device's location.

Find My iPhone is a free service built into iCloud. It allows users to lock, find, or erase a lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
    [​IMG]
    Find My iPhone is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Find My iPhone' App Updated With Driving Directions to Device Location

2. macrumors 6502

Drive directly to the thieves. Exciting.

3. RoelJuun, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

...so you'll get yourself misplaced too.

4. macrumors 68000

davidjearly

I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it?

That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit...

I'm not saying they shouldn't have included it, but given the amount of crazy litigation I see happening all over the World these days, I'm slightly surprised.

Personally, I think it's a good feature addition.

5. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Exactly! Hopefully they tell the police about it and not intervene themselves... people could get hurt or worse.

6. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Just hope it's not in Mildura, Australia.

7. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

But, you'll never get to the thief's house following Maps D:

8. macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

when setting off on a trip you first post your phone to the desired destination, then you just use find my iphone to guide you to there :p

9. macrumors 6502

extricated

haha!
    Everyone is picking up on exactly what I was thinking.

Drive to the seedy lowlife who stole your device and possibly end up losing your wallet (or your life) in the process.

Of course, that's worse case scenario stuff.

Hopefully, it's sitting on the barstool where you left it and you'll just go back to get it.

10. macrumors 6502

YOU: "Siri, give me the directions to my stolen iPhone!"

SIRI: "Ok, here are the directions to the nearest store that sells iPhones."

11. macrumors P6

Technically speaking, Apple is almost always referring to this feature in the sense of the phone being lost/misplaced, rather than stolen. In that sense, what's the downside of going the extra step and giving you the option to see driving directions to the location where your phone is if you have lost/misplaced it?

Now, if it has actually been stolen, well, that's slightly different, but at least the marketing intent of the app is for lost/misplaced phones.

12. macrumors 604

bushido

that app is pretty useless anyway. lets say u lose your iPhone and follow the spot on your map, how can u possibly know which person stole your iphone? there are probably at least 5 people fairly close that own an iPhone as well

i lost my H&M jacket at the airport once and accused someone with the same jacket, eventually i found my jacket somewhere else again. needless to say that was embarrassing enough

13. macrumors regular

Vol7ron

i wonder if it updates the location in realtime...As you are driving to get it, the device suddenly moves to the next street over, then the next, etc....Real life Pac-Man game - just the roles are reversed....

14. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

No no, didn't you hear the news? Apple has fixed that issue. Now you just need to hope its not in any of the hundreds (thousands?) of less well known towns that Apple maps has misplaced.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, it's a non-issue. The lost device will report GPS coordinates and directions will use to and from GPS coordinates. So long as Apple doesn't have entirely misplaced roads, it should be fine... My understanding is its mostly location metadata that Apple has completely F'd with Apple Maps. Directions between coordinates should work fine.

15. macrumors newbie

what if the thief steals your iphone, turns it off and then moves to another location? Will the app guide you to the new location?

16. macrumors 68020

Rather the United States. I think there's not a single judge in, for example, Europe that would let Apple pay a fine if something happened just because someone decided to drive to a thief using Apple's software.

17. macrumors 68000

Lancer

lmao

18. macrumors 68000

They should make another update with one click from from your computer and will take a picture through the iphone (either side of the camera) of the person and siri will say, " here's the address to this fool, go kill him."

19. macrumors 6502a

BornAgainApple

Ya can't get there from here.

20. macrumors regular

There should be an in-app purchase.... "Hire a Thug".... He can meet you at the location and handle the physical requirements

21. macrumors newbie

I am sure they will not use apple maps to find it ...ugh

22. macrumors 6502a

olowott

only works in the US of A:mad:

23. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Send a message with an alarm to the iPhone. Assuming you are in close proximity, you should hear it. Of course this is dependent on the device being powered on.

I wish Apple would allow an app such as "IGotYa", which has been used to recover some stolen iPhones.

24. macrumors regular

iThinkIt

rotflol

25. macrumors 6502a

Find My iPhone is useful, until they shut your phone off