Find street address from IP?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Draft, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

Is there a way to find the exact street address from an IP address? Someone sent a couple of emails that contained sensitive and personal information about myself that only a couple people would know to friends and family members. They had tons of sexual connotations in them. In order to absolve myself of these emails, I'd like to figure out who did this. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. friarbayliff macrumors regular

There isn't really an exact way to do it. You might start with some commands like nslookup, whois, and traceroute to maybe find some names or suffixes that will give you clues as to the general location or perhaps the ISP the ip belongs to. From there, you might be able to complain to the ISP - though I doubt that any ISP would be willing to give out this information to just any random person.

I'm not terribly good at things like this - perhaps someone with more experience will know a more specific method...

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I've already done a whois and traceroute on the IP. I contacted the ISP, but since the recent RIAA problems, no one can get information on the person that is doing this directly from the ISP. From the traceroute, I found that the IP is somewhere in New York City, but I want to pinpoint it if possible.

Any other suggestions? I want to find this person...

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you're really worried, hire a lawyer, file a police report and submit a legal request for the info through the lawyer, instead of just calling and asking.

5. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd rather not spend the money on a lawyer to get a subpoena for the street address.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Maybe try hiring a P.I. One way or another, you're going to have to spend some money if you plan on tracking this person down. Like the others have said, ISPs don't just give out personal information to anyone who asks.

7. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

heres a url

This does not get you an exact address of the person (that usually requires a court order), but this will get you the city of the person's ISP:

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

just enter the ip.

[edit: i did not see that u found the city...whoops]

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, if you live in Chicago... and you know that the emails came from NY...

When was the last time you were in NY, if it wasnt' recently, or at all, then you've just been exhonerated.

9. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to know who is doing this to me. I don't want this to continue.

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

That's understandable... But don't let this spin out of control. Good luck.

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I tried that, and it said that I live in Duxbury, MA. When in fact, I'm typing this in East Falmouth, MA, 42.4 miles away.

12. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

read what i said ...grrr....it gets your ISP's registered city for them, it does NOT garentee (spelling?) that it is your same city.

WHy i posted the thing to begin with is if you at least get the general area (the isp city should not be like 1000 miles away or anything like that) were the email was sent from.

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

There are better locators. That one says that I'm in Horsehead, NY. According to mapquest that is approx 96.59 miles away from me. However, it still will give you a good general idea of where you are.

BEN

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I say phone the police. Its harrassment. Maybe some policeman will be sympathetic enough to go all out to help you. Probably not, but you never know. Plus it's free. ;)

15. phiberoptik957 macrumors newbie

You can file a lawsuit without a lawyer.

16. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I noticed that. I just tried it and it gave me a city hundreds of km away because that's where my ISP is.

18. raynegus macrumors regular

What kind of e-mails were they? They sent them to your family and friends? You can probably figure out who it was if you think about it. How many people would send sex-related e-mails to your family and friends (unless I misunderstood your post). Tracking down IP addresses is a pain...

Either way, good luck.

19. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Well you can only in small claims court *less than 5K, any more than that you going to have to get a lawyer.

20. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Does a traceroute give a more exact location then that website? I did both and they both show New York City. Is this where the IP or the ISP is located?

Thanks,

21. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

The ISP.

I have said it several times, to get the exact IP location requires a court order in most cases.