Find UberMac a job!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UberMac, Jun 7, 2006.

1. UberMac macrumors 6502

Good evenin' guys! *tips hat*

Well it's come to that time of year where I think I should be getting a job for over summer, and then a regular weekend job (my first :eek:).

Last year I spent 3 months working for BHI at the Boots HQ in Nottingham. It was a good time: good wages (~£7.50 /hour), company was nice, job was interesting (even if it wasn't the most exciting thing in the world). I spent a few weeks in HR helping out there - helping at inductions, filing, managing databases, assembling files etc. Then I spent the rest of the time in the Archive where I just did archive-y stuff (finding, retrieving, entering data etc).

Since then BHI was sold for £2Bn and my contact got fired :)(), the new owners aren't exaclty people friendly (don't return calls, respond to letters...) so I'm looking elsewhere.

I've finally started looking around for jobs, and quite frankly it sucks! I applied for a job at Homebase today and basically got offered a job on the spot for £3.18/hour:eek:, subject to further interview. But it's not going to be a fun job. I've also been looking at hotel work, but that's just as badly paid (for an under 18) and no more interesting.

I'm intelligent*, self motivated*, sensible, mature (;)) ... but just can't find anything suitable.

I live in a typical british town with clone stores everywhere :(, a job in one of those might be better, any tips?

I enjoy music and, well, technology. So a job in either of these fields would be good. I'm also learning (and am longing to be taught by somebody able) to edit video/photos in a slightly more professional way than "oooh look, a spinny transition in iMovie"

Any tips on where to find a good (well paid AND fun) job in the East Midlands...maybe both is just too much to ask at 17.

Sorry if that reads like a pig (it will) I'm a bit hacked off :)

Thanks,

Uber

*Qualifications - 9A*s and 2As at GCSE. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, music, computing and general studies at A level (I'm predicted As in all of them - so far my worst mark on an externally assessed exam is 95%). I also have grade 8 saxophone, grade 4 piano and grade 5 music theory. I help at my local cub group, am working on Gold DofE, have produced the last 3 school plays, am in three county bands...

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Wagamamas

Work for wagamamas. Yummmmmmmmmmm. I'm making myself hungry...

Do they have them outside of London?

3. Lau Guest

1. If you're lucky enough to live near a university (or college) see if they need any temps for the summer. It pays really well (I got £7 an hour) and the work was dead easy. I worked hard, but it wasn't taxing compared to some of the other jobs I've done, and everyone was nice.

2. If not, try some temp office work agencies. There's usually a few short term well-paid contracts at nice companies kicking around. Get in early and you might land a good one. :)

And, god, yes, there are Wagamamas outside London. Mmmm, Wagamamas...

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I wanna open one here in the States. They'd make a killing in cities, all the downtown business men looking for lunch.

I've got to stop talking about it... yum

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Working in a more officey environment might be a better way to go. Most shops will rip you off a bit with pay because you are only entitled to 3 quid per hour according to national minimum wage (for under 18s).

You should maybe try temping agencies (although being under 18 might be a problem for some of them) but you can also get a bit of a raw deal with them aswell (they take a percentage of your pay).

You just have to keep trying and eventually you will find something. When I was 17 I worked for the Jobcentre for 7 pounds per hour or so... go have a look there lol.

6. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Rant

<Rant Ranttopic=Interview>

Well whoopdeedoo, I went to my interview today for a job at Homebase this evening. All went well, I managed to talk for 3 minutes about the pure genius of a hole punch (other people had to "sell" hammers, sponges, spirit levels...oh the bizarre things they made us talk/sell).

Then we sat down for the conventional "interview", which again, was rather enjoyable as far as interviews go. I hit it off with the interviewer and came up with generally good answers to his questions.

Then (THEN) it came to the teamwork exercise. We had to come up with a list of the 5 things staff at HomeBase should be, and then represent them all pictorially.

To start that we all wrote down on a piece of paper our personal top three traits of staff. All went swimmingly. Then together we had to decide on 5 and draw them. So we get told to start...*SILENCE*...*SILENCE*..."erm...ooooh...arrr"...So being the PROactive type I started a debate, lead it, wrote down the ideas, organized the drawing etc. Nobody else really said anything until my neighbor joined in and started to offer some feedback/arguement/debate. Anyway, the pictures were drawn and discussed with the interviewers.

At the end of the evening we get told who gets through to the next round and who doesn't. (As you may have guessed) I didn't get through, yet the ignorant slob who I was with throughout the evening did. So, as most of you would I guess, I asked why I didn't get through..."Well, we felt you were too much of a leader, but you were very good in the rest of the areas."

So...a good candidate generally, but because I took some initiative I didn't get through! :mad: That sucks!

Uber

</rant>

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Lol there are some stupid people out there!:rolleyes:

This reminds me of a design competition I took part some years ago. Had a rather good idea for the concept & the adds of their product. But my campaign was rejected. Explanation of the client: "We are afraid that the adds might draw too much attention."

8. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Sounds like you demonstrated the ability to think critically - always a bad idea. ;)

Look on the bright side: you don't really want to work for a company who treat their interview process like a reality TV show. What a bunch of twats.

Best of luck with your job search.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That's called 'can't have anyone too proactive in a menial job in case they have too many good ideas and make their line managers look bad' syndrome.

I'd agree with trying to steer clear of shops and go for offices etc. There's generally a bit more to do, a little more of a social life if you end up in a good one - and if you get involved in an interesting project, you've got something more interesting to put on your CV. If you're good with Word/Excel/Powerpoint, you should get something. Go and speak to a temp agency and chat to one of the account managers - I hire temps occasionally and my first request of the agency is always to get someone with a bit of nous for a couple of weeks so I don't end up standing over them.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hmmm... ever considered giving saxophone lessons? Put an advert in the paper, £10 an hour and see what happens.
    Also do what I did and write a letter looking for a computing job or something along those lines. Pick up your local yellow pages and do a mail merge to every single computer company in there saying you're looking for some paid work experience or something along those lines. I did that when I was 16, got a job at £5.50 an hour which gradually went up every time I worked there and ended up at about £7.50 an hour.

Also, I'm sorry to say but general studies doesn't count, Uni's don't count it and most decent companies don't either!! :( The rest will do nicely though!!

11. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I know :rolleyes: But we HAVE to do it, and doing 6 A Levels just sounds awesome!

Ah, there is light at the end of the tunnel! That was my theory too...*evil laugh...plots about taking over from the bottom!*

Uber

12. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Wanna come work in Canada? I know that we got a student from France working with our production team right now. I think she'll be here for 3 months or so. ;)

13. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

My God that would be the most incredible thing ever in the history of ever! That would be absolutely awesome! I mean, I can't come this summer, but next summer...:D or anytime within between July 2007 - September 2008 (I'll be having a gap year!) I would love the opportunity! :D ;)

Uber

14. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I need a summer job, anything that's not food service is good enough for me! ;)

15. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

What is your major? If it is anywhere in computer/engineering field and if you put a good resume together I can definately foward it to our HR or one of the managers. We always have several student positions availble but you'll have to compete with Canadian students. PM me if you are still interested.