Finder = 95% processing usage. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chibianh, Jul 16, 2004.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I'm just chatting on iChat and all of a sudden see my processor monitor spike up and stay there. So I open up terminal and check top to see the Finder eating away at all of the available processing power. Ok, so maybe it'll go away because the Finder is doing something. Nope, 10 minutes later it's still doing it. So I relaunch the finder and it's still doing the same thing. Next, I tried rebooting, same thing. Anyone have any recommendations besides doing a full system reinstall? I'm using a PowerMac G5 1.6, 768mb ram running 10.3.4

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Someone a while back posted something about this....i think the person that helped the dude said to try trashing the finder preferences or sometin likethat. I will look around for that thread again...

3. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

Its not uncommon that the finder eats up all processing usage. A quick finder restart usually fixes the problem, however not always. You might wanna try repairing persmissions, running most of the functions in OnyX and Cocktail. Reboot and restart the finder. Thats should fix it.

4. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

thanks for the tips. I deleted the finder prefs and it worked. however, when check the "Show item info" in Finder > Show View Options, the Finder goes crazy again. Deleting prefs again fixes it.. again. "Show item info" is the culprit. I will live with no "Show item info" for the time being.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Ever think about letting it finish? I notice that the Finder goes crazy trying to get resources when I right click, as well as, getting info but it usually finishes and processor activity returns to normal. Get Info usually takes quite a long time to calculate space used.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am having this problem as well. Running two to three accounts at any one time, I find that even leaving the PB alone the fan can suddenly go on and when I check I see the CPU temp in nearing 60degrees C and the Finder is maxing out on one account. My fix is to log out and back into the account but this is clearly a Panther bug if its what you guys think it is. Nice if Apple can patch this soonish...Tigers a ways off.

7. jKmxxx macrumors member

have you try Cache Out X? on the first run the program will take some time to clean out. Also used the Auto-cleaner at login.

download here

8. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I have the same problem. A couple times a day my CPU usage jumps up to 100% so I just restart finder. Its only takes a few seconds but it is annoying. The view options doesn't cause it for me though and I can't find the finder prefs (I searched for "finder pref" and didn't find anything)

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I've just run Onyx, hopefully that will help.

10. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i had this problem as well, only 2 or 3 weeks back, trashing the the finder preferences just worked fine. I had already tried to let it on so that the cron jobs could run regularly, run the cron jobs by hand, clear the cache, clear the safari icon cache, repair permissions.
    IMO this is a finder bug, thought i just can't find what the real cause of it is. wellwell :eek:

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I also have this issue, and I also feel it is a Finder bug. But I'm curious: what machines are they happening on? For the most part, it's people with laptops, does this happen with desktops as well?

I use a Rev. C 12" PowerBook.

12. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

It happens on my 1Ghz iMac so my guess is that it does happen on desktops as well.

13. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, there goes that theory! :D