Finder and Desktop disappeared!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scottsemafx, Mar 30, 2006.

1. scottsemafx macrumors newbie

I am running a G3 with only 512 Ram... maybe that's what's going on...
    But this machine was running great until I got an upgrade to software- and I think it's SAFARI... But now, the system boots up normally, until it gets to the point where the finder bar should appear, along with my DRIVE and folder icons.

No go.

The Dock works- I can start Safari. Then it usually craps out. I can go into preferences...
    I can open my address book, etc.

So how can I get into the hard drive? How can I get the Finder to reappear?

Any help is appreciated.

(I'm writing this with my trusty Titanium 12inch, "Frodo")

Scott

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The RAM isn't the problem. Can you boot into Single User Mode?

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

sounds like the finder "Quit"

Can you click the finder icon in the dock? Or did it too disappear?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you possibly get into System Preferences and create a new user account? Then, you might be able to log into that account and salvage some files. :)

5. scottsemafx thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I recover?

IJ, I don't know how to boot into single mode. Please share.
    I checked out those links about similar problems. The only difference for me is- I'm running 10.3.9 on a (turquoise) G3. Not Tiger.
    Can I even RUN Tiger on an old G3? I don't think so. There isn't even a DVD player on this thing. I'm just trying to use it for email and iSync'ing my addresses and calendar...

Anyway, I'm still stuck. Can't get to the hard drive.. can't use Safari, after it craps. The FINDER Icon is still on the Dock, but it won't DO anything.

Thanks for the feedback. Now what do I do?

Ciao. Scott

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe look into trying an Archive & Install if you can't make that new user account. :)

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Do what mad jew suggested. Make a new user account and see if it does the same problems.

It's most likely that preference files are corrupt in your Home folder.

8. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

He wouldn't be able to get there... if he can't boot Safari or get to the desktop, how would he? :rolleyes: :confused:

10. scottsemafx thread starter macrumors newbie

Pathfinder

Hey Democrat... that's a great suggestion... but as Lilstewart says, right now I don't think I can keep Safari open long enough to get there... it usually craps out in less than 10 seconds (or second mouse click, whichever comes first!).

I think I'll need to boot from the disk and do a re-install. I wonder how much I'll lose? It's only a waste of time. I don't really have anything on this G3 that I'm afraid of losing... just the applications that took so long to load (and mail setups and preferences...sigh).

I greatly appreciate everyone's help! I love networking- and this is a tangible use of the power of helping others. Thank you.

The ultimate solution is to just stop trying to make this G3 work... and get something new (which is my goal, once the $$$ tree sprouts come June).

Last question... what is the key(s) I need to press when rebooting, to get to some alternate "mode"? Maybe I can see the hard drive then?

Ciao. Scott

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Restart and hold down cmd-s until you see the black screen. From there you can check and potentially repair a damaged hard drive by typing:

fsck -f [return]

at the prompt (include the space)

then

reboot [return]

when the process is completed.

Please, try this at the very least before thinking about reinstalling.