Finder and NTFS Drives...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoelBC, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

As a Windows user for 20+ years who is in the process of moving to a Mac I have a number of NTFS formatted drives such as a 2.0 TB WD My Passport...I am using these drives for a number of purposes...

I have noticed that when I attach / mount these drives to my MBA some but all of the Windows hidden / system files appear...for example, when I attach / mount my 2.0 TB WD My Passport drives the files $RECYCLE.BIN and "System Volume Information" are displayed / shown...

Is there are way -- as there is in Windows -- to prevent these files from showing on the Mac or, is it as I suspect, this is not possible because while these files are Windows system files they are not OS X system files which explains why "only some" of the Windows system files appear [i.e. continuing with the above example, there are some Windows system files that do not appear on OS X which I am assuming is a result of being a system file in both Windows and OS X].

Thanks so much,

Joel

2. macrumors 603

justperry

This is also the other way around, if you mount a HFS+ disk in windows(With other software) it will show MacOS files as well.

What can you do about it, probably not much.
    If I had access to a windows machine I would try out something for you, like make those files invisible in OS X and then look if it still works in Windows, sadly can not help you here.

Be careful if you do so, you could mess up the disk, although I think that if you mount them in OS X again and make them visible again there would be no damage.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate you confirming my suspicion...I will leave things as they are...