Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I have a 12" PB which is a great little machine. One thing that really annoys me though:

With only having a small screen the dock covers almost the entire bottom row of my computer. This has the effect that it covers that bottom left folder that I have on my desktop. I can still click on the folder but I cant see the name. I suppose I could create a blank folder to put in its place but it is something that really gets to me. Surely it would not be difficult for Apple to alter the script for the layout of the desktop so the dock does not cover any icons.

I know that people are going to post "Oh well why dont you move your dock, or why dont you have a smaller dock". Well the answer is I dont want to OK. I like my dock how it is and want some change in the desktop. This is one of the small "attention to detail" items that Apple are famed for so it would be nice for them to do something about it....

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
Richard Youden said:
I have a 12" PB which is a great little machine. One thing that really annoys me though:

With only having a small screen the dock covers almost the entire bottom row of my computer. This has the effect that it covers that bottom left folder that I have on my desktop. I can still click on the folder but I cant see the name. I suppose I could create a blank folder to put in its place but it is something that really gets to me. Surely it would not be difficult for Apple to alter the script for the layout of the desktop so the dock does not cover any icons.

I know that people are going to post "Oh well why dont you move your dock, or why dont you have a smaller dock". Well the answer is I dont want to OK. I like my dock how it is and want some change in the desktop. This is one of the small "attention to detail" items that Apple are famed for so it would be nice for them to do something about it....
Go to Finder>View>Show View Options and select "Snap to Grid". Then arrange your folders on the desktop where you want to.
:cool:

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
yenko said:
Go to Finder>View>Show View Options and select "Snap to Grid". Then arrange your folders on the desktop where you want to.
:cool:

Does that not effect the way I can sort my folders or when I add a new icon wont it take up the space left at the bottom of the screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.