Finder Column View Preview Missing Pic/Movie Dimension Numbers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Multimedia, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Lately I've noticed that after some reboots the dimensions of jpg & dimensions + time length of QT movie & mp3 or AAC audio files no longer appear at the bottom of the info list under the preview picture/player of each item in column view. I can' t tell why those dimensions stop appearing and am wondering if anyone knows how to make sure thay do appear and if they are not appearing how to get them back.

It's really strange because I can't replicate what causes them to go away after a reboot or startup from off. They inconsistently disappear and reappear. Is this a bug in the finder of 10.4.8? Thanks if you know the fix.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) Do you have your files located somewhere other than your user directory?

2) Are you a managed, standard, or admin user?

3) Do you use filevault?

I've noticed there are some weird limitations regarding Finder showing you this information associated with #2 in particular. For instance, if you set to show item info on the desktop, an administrator will see under the HD both the capacity of the HD and current free space. A standard or managed user will see only the capacity, even though the Inspector will tell the managed user how much used / free space there is. Although...that's a consistent effect, and not an intermittent one like you're describing.

3. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

External Drives None In User Directory Sole Admin User No Filevault

Yes they are on all sorts of external hard drives. But until recently they always displayed dimensions and duration info no problem. Only lately has this intermittent missing that stuff started happening.
    Admin. I'm a single and only user of my Macs.
    Nope. Never.
    Yes it's quite the mystery. I hope one of us is a good detective who's already had this experience and figured out how to fix it. Please? It's quite unnerving. I have to open applications to see this info that was so handy to see right there in the column view preview until recently not all the time. It's got me quite miffed. :confused:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might try enabling Access Control Lists for the locations outside your home directory. I too keep many things, including my music, in my /users/shared folder. ACLs will ensure that the system does not get confused about to what aspects of those directories outside the home directory your user has privilege.

5. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

Where Do I Enable Access Control Lists How?

Pardon my ignorance. Where do I do that how?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

See this tutorial:

http://ad.hominem.org/log/2005/07/acl.php

The basic idea is that ACLs allow the system to maintain different (or same as the case may be) privileges for different users of different levels for shared parts of the filesystem.

It may not actually be necessary for you if you have only one account. What you might start with is just making sure, using chown and chmod, that your user owns all of these files and directories and that you did not accidentally end up with ones that are not owned by you.

Of course I could be leading you on a wild goose chase too. :eek: It's just a thought.