Finder constantly restarts, won't run at all!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JordanShapiro, May 1, 2003.

1. JordanShapiro macrumors member

A friend of mine was using my 12" Powerbook to do some iMovie work. After exporting a DV-quality movie to Quicktime, he dragged it to the desktop.
    When he tried to open it, the movie never opened, we got the ever-lasting beach ball and now finder constantly restarts. The menu bar will flash, desktop icons display for a split second and then it shuts down. The dock arrow dissapears and it starts up again.

I've upgraded to QT 6.2, reparied permissions on the disk and am running 10.2.5.

Any thoughts? I hope I'm not looking at a software restore here... :(

Jordan

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

is everything backed up, the only succes i've had in finder issues is to first repair permission and then eventually a reinstal of the whole OS>

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep, i think that you have to re-install the OS.

do you have partitions on your HD? they can be a big help if things like this happen. as an example, you've got your OS X partition - lets say it's 5GB. then you've got your 'documents' partition, the one you keep all of your important stuff on. if your OS then stuffs up, you don't have to wipe your whole machine, just the 5GB partition with OS X.

also, you can copy all of the necessary files from your user folder in the OS X partition and then keep them on another partition, and replace them if the OS messes up. that way you can be up and running again in 15 minutes. i forget the specifics of that method, but it is certainly possible to use for minor OS problems.

4. JordanShapiro thread starter macrumors member

Deleted Finder preferences, problem solved. Yippie!

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

good deal :) definitely consider partitioning tho, i know people are moving away from it, but i have my system divided into 5 partitions on two drives; System, applications, documents, swap and music. Swap was a bad idea, it rarely gets used. But the rest are very handy. I have a backup system on my Music volume for maintenance purposes, and every night my system backs up the system disk to the other one, and i can schedule important stuff from the Documents volume to back up to the system disk-- Like a RAID but a hell of a lot more convenient, because i get to use both drives :)

pnw