Finder CPU usage problem?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jason, Dec 4, 2003.

1. jason macrumors newbie

Since yesterday, my 17" 1GHz PB fan has been kicking on within minutes of turning the comptuer on and it would stay on till I shut it down or put it to sleep.

Panther (10.3.1) seems to load fine, nothing out of the ordinary. After viewing activity monitor and running "top" in terminal, it seems as if Finder's usage is making the CPU heat up and cause my PB's fan to start and stay on.

Has anyone had any similar issues regarding Finder and CPU usage? Any suggestions on what might cause this? I can't seem to think of anything else that might cause the abnormal heat up.

Activity monitor below.
    [​IMG]

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might want to double-click on the line countaining the job to get more info. Clicking on Open files when the situation occurs and when it does not may give you an idea of what things are being affected.

If I were to guess, it would be indexing the files within your home directories. Since I leave my machines on all the time, that runs once a week about 04:30 Saturday morning.

3. jason thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

The problem had to do with one of the files (.jpg) on my desktop. I deleted the file and problem went away. I'm not sure why that was listed as "open files"...odd.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Glad you found the problem.

Maybe it was damaged somehow and Finder was trying to associate it with an application but couldn't. Did it show up with a generic icon?

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

I noticed the same thing on my iMac.
    It worked fluently, till that moment, but the Finder started to get all the cpu. Not very dramatic. some 10 minutes later it had stopped working as hard.
    It s probably the indexing as bousozoku told. Apparently the cron jobs are a bit "disregulated" ;-)

6. jason thread starter macrumors newbie

The file was most likely damaged. I wasn't able to open it with preview or photoshop, but finder was trying to access it. It showed up as an image icon, not generic.

7. bbz macrumors newbie

i've also been experiencing finder hogging the cpu. on a laptop this kind of behavior is unacceptable.

i used to use mozilla and recently switched to safari. i think the cpu spiking comes after saving a file (images in my case) in safari then accessing it in finder. i just trashed an image i downloaded and then the cpu spike. emptying the trash didn't help. quitting and restarting finder did.

i've also had problems where i would select multiple images on the desktop and while trying to drag them into a folder it seems that finder crashes and immediately restarts with all the images still on the desktop.

panther 10.3.2 on a pb ti 17"

8. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

This is why I use MenuMeters... it allows me to very quickly see if I have a wild process eating my battery away. Not sure what I'd do without it except wait for the fans to come on, and then realize there was a problem.

I've recently been battling a kernel_task problem where it grabs 40% or more and makes the mouse jerky. I think I'm blamiing X so far...

9. thornrag macrumors newbie

Apparently this can happen if you have a corrupt .jpg image on your desktop and have turned on "Show icon preview" in finder view options.

Removing the image from your desktop apparently could cause the Finder to beach-ball, but once you reboot, the Finder should behave normally.

I'm gonna keep Icon Preview turned off from now on.

10. bbz macrumors newbie

if i quit safari before i try to move the files finder no longer crashes. i think safari isn't releasing its hold on the files correctly(?) and that finder isn't being robust against whatever weirdness safari is doing to the files. the files usually already have a preview showing. i'll try turning off preview and trying again. i think that when i tried to move the files from within a finder window i could move them and that it was just when i was dragging from the desktop that i had the problem, but i may be remembering incorrectly.