finder crashes when moving multiple files

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by blue&whiteman, May 6, 2004.

1. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

for about 2 days now every time I move more than 2 or 3 files at once off the desktop and into a finder window it crashes. the finder just up a crashes and then reopens itself right away.

if I move them 2 at a time it normally won't crash but has. I can't understand this at all. its the only issue I am having at all right now.

ideas?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Try creating a new user and see if the problem occurs there. If it doesn't, then the problem will almost certainly be in your user Library folder. In this case you could use a trial and error technique to find the corrupted file(s) (which will probably be in ~/Library/Preferences), by moving files in and out of the Library.

3. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Yes, that would be the next thing I'd try (I'm assuming you've already tried repairing permissions), but only if creating a new user didn't work.

Basically, if the problem is in your user library, creating a new user should fix it, and if it's in your computer or system library, an archive and install should fix it.

5. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I created a new user with admin privs. I was able to drag 44 files onto the dt then back into the folder with no issues. yes I did repair permissions.

should I just use the new account and delete the old one?

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It depends on how much data you want from your old user's library. If there are a lot of settings that you want to keep, it might be better to try and find the source of the problem using trial and error, as I said in my first reply.

If you don't mind losing your settings, then it would be easier to just stick with the new account. In this case, I'd leave the old user there for a while just in case you later remember something that you want, such as your email if you use Mail. Then you can copy files to your new user as you remember them.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've also had problems with the Finder crashing when i move a file, but only on random files, i can't remember now, but i think the last file i tried to move was a .zip.

anyway, after i dragged from one Finder window to another, it just crashed Finder. but then after i re-started the file was moved, and it un-zipped okay.

weird... :confused:

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Why do people always repair permissions, then fail to run DFA and/or fsck when they are having problems with the Finder?

It's always worth a shot when you're having trouble with stuff relating to the catalog, file system, or hanging cursoritis.

9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

When ever I move 300+ files, not on the desktop, but in different folders, the finder locks up on me, I have to do a force quit of the finder.

Oh well...

At least your not getting kernel panicks like I am, 1-2 a week... *sigh*