Finder Crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ForeverUnknown, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

I don't know if I can get any help with this, but my Finder appears to crash randomly. It's never consistent. I can be copying a file or simply right clicking and Finder will close. Is there any error log I can check or anything to find out what's going on?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Repair your hard disk (either boot off the CD or boot into single user mode
    if you use the CD Method, go to Utilities->Disk Utility and repair the disk
    if you use Single-User Mode (CMD+S hold before the chime goes off then hold until text screen comes up) then type in: fsck -fy
    after all that repair permissions on the drive).

If that doesn't help download a combo update and install that.

3. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

I did Verify Disk under Disk Utilities and it passed.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What do you have mounted on the desktop? What is your Mac connected to? If you create a new user account, do the problems carry over? If you open up Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, is there anything looking out of the ordinary in terms of CPU and RAM usage? :)

5. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's happened while being directly networked to my PC and copying files over, but it's also happened when nothing is mounted. Finder has also crashed while unzipping files. I'm not sure if it was using StuffIt 11 at the time or the built-in app.

In regards to Activity Monitor, nothing looks out of the ordinary, but I'm not positive to Mac processes. I do know a PC's status instantly though...

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Make sure you're looking at All Processes and not just the default My Processes. At the moment, it doesn't really matter what they do so much as whether any of them are using a lot of your resources when Finder crashes.

In the meantime, I guess you could trash the Finder preference file, aptly named com.apple.finder.plist and in your Preferences folder. Drag it to the Trash and reboot. :)

7. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Hmm VLC just crashed while watching a VCD. 2nd time VLC has crashed tonight. First time was while watching a AVI file. I wonder if it's related... Here's a little snip from the error report:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could be... What sort of third party hardware and software do you have? Do you have third party RAM? :)

9. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking it could be a RAM problem, but I only have the stock 1GB stick in. Nothing else is plugged in.

The only apps I've installed so far: Adium, Adobe CS2, Aperture, Azureus, CandyBar, Divx, Flip4Mac, LittleSnitch, Microsoft Office 04, Onyx, Quicksilver, Pixadex, SMCFanControl, StuffIt 11, Toast 7, VLC.

Is there any way to test memory on a Mac? PCs have a program called memtest86 which works pretty well, but I've never heard of anything for Macs.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. ForeverUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

I tested my memory with Memtest and the Apple Hardware Test, and of course, everything passes. Finider crashed again this morning while copying files over a network. Ugh I'm just going to call Apple Support but I doubt they can help.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know how I missed this before, but open up Console in the Utilities folder to see a variety of error logs. In the meantime, maybe try reinstalling the OS Combo update, assuming the computer isn't already in the hands of Apple. :)