Finder crashing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evangelion-01, Jan 23, 2007.

1. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

Hey there, recently my finder has been crashing when i right click on stuff, it doesn't happen all the time only randomly, it also crashed sometimes when i right click on the trash. The only recent changes i did to the system where stuffit 11 and i also xslimmed a few apps, but the apps work properly... any suggestions?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.. there's a craptacular contextual menu that gets installed with Stuffit 11 that is likely causing the problem. It can be found in /Library/Contextual Menu Items/, remove it and restart. Your problem should be gone.

FWIW, you don't need that as a contextual menu anyways. If you need something opened with Stuffit Expander, it will open automagically when you double click the compressed item.

3. evangelion-01 thread starter macrumors regular

Mhmm... i see igettercmplugin.plugin and toastit.plugin(toaster 8) no sign of stuffit although when i right click i do see the stuffit menu in there... mhmmm is it hidden?

edit: stupid me... it's under Macintosh HD, not my user name... mhmmm you learn something new everyday huh?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So, did that fix the issue?

And yes, it is under the root Library. In UNIX terminology, that is written as /Library, as / refers to the root of the drive (not to be confused with the "root" superuser). The user's Library would be written as ~/Library or /Users/shortusername/Library (where "shortusername" is replaced by the user's short username), the ~ refers to the current user's home directory.

For more information about the command line (there's a lot of great stuff to learn/know there), try tis tutorial on for size:

http://osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/index.ws