Finder Fails to Refresh HDD Size

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by BeoVir, Sep 13, 2004.

1. BeoVir macrumors member

I have my PB set up to display the harddrive's available space under its icon on the desktop. I have noticed that I can delete or install gigabytes of data and yet the size doesn't actually change under the icon.

I did some looking around and this is what I found...

Emptying trash doesn't help.
    Command-clicking and selecting show info displays the correct size in the info pane but the desktop doesn't update.
    Opening a new finder window displays the correct size in the window but still no desktop update.
    Making the finder relaunch does correct the displayed HDD size, for obvious reasons.

I don't understand why this happens. Does anyone know why this feature fails to stay current? Or have any idea how to force it to update without relaunching the finder?

I guess I expect it to always be accurate especially as so meny other parts of OS X are so well integrated, like when u add a new folder in one finder window it shows up in a programs save window instantly.

2. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem, and would also like to know if there's a way to change that. :(

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The desktop refresh is sth. a lot of people have been complaining about. There is no fix AFAIK. Let's hope Tiger will resolve this, as should have 10.3.5
    Just keep writing Apple feedback on their feedback page. That has helped many times before.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Quite frankly, the cause of this behavior is another old Mac OS X bug that should have been fixed in 10.3.1. Has anyone with an ADC account submitted a bug report for this yet (not necessarily someone here - you'll know if one was already submitted if yours is closed because it was a duplicate).

5. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I have the same problem which I'm expecting to be fixed in every OS update but it simply doesnt.. I dont care it anymore because it gets fixed when you restart the system