Finder: Files before folders

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phrac, Mar 20, 2004.

1. phrac macrumors member

phrac

I am a recent convert and I can't figure out how to do this one thing in the finder. I want to view folders before the files instead of the files and folders in alphabetical order. (hopefully you can understand that)

How do I do this?

Edit: oops, I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

There is no standard method of doing so, but there's a few workarounds:
    *Put a space symbol at the start of every folder (maybe an Applescript would help with the renaming).
    *Give every folder a colour label (again an Applescript may help), and then view by label.
    *In icon and column views, you can change to list as size or kind. Each of these will split folders from files with a few problems. Firstly when viewing by size, both applications and folders are not given a size (because applications are just folders in disguise), but it will split them from other files, also files will no longer be sorted alphabetically. When viewing by kind, folders will not usually be put at one end, because folder is not at an end of the alphabet.

There was also another discussion about this a couple of weeks ago:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=62688

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

We killed this Topic in another thread. There are a few 3rd party utilities I saw that can help but I prefer to simply do what Hex said in 1. just hit the space bar in front of each folder name. I also do this with my font suitcases so I can see all the suitcases on top then all the printer fonts below (postscript type 1 fonts) I over 2,000 to sort through and it helps.