Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
I did some searching and didn't find anything, so here's my problem. If I am transfering files over a network and I lose connectivity (even briefly, like WiFi cuts out then in) the finder freezes (spinning beachball, no response). A force restart of the finder does not help and I cannot even reboot unless I hold the power button to force it to turn off.

It's not that big of a deal, just annoying. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I am doing wrong or can do differently to prevent this? It has happened many times and on multiple networks. Actually now that I think back it happened the very first day I got my mac (g4 1GHz iBook) when I was copying files from my Windows desktop and the home network cut out for a sec. So it seems unlikely that it is something related to the os being dirty (like permissions :) )

Thanks.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
Hi,
I experienced the exact same thing many times before. Perhaps the other thing I can add is that I was accessing a shared drive on a Windows machine via SMB.

I'm wondering if I should use another file sharing mechanism, like NFS. Perhaps NFS will be more stable?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
yeah i have that problem when i transfer a lot of stuff from one computer to another by wi-fi. I can even do it directly by wi fi (set up a network with one computer and join it from the other. It's crappy.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
nekkets said:
you guys are not alone
i have that problem too

ditto, me too.

I had to copy 40 or so gigs from a Windows PC over to my iMac. I had perfect wifi signal and it would freeze rendering Finder frozen.

The only way I got round this was to set up an FTP server on the Windows machine and connect that way rather than using SMB. It did not freeze when copying files. However, this is the weird bit, any file on the Windows computer with an accented character in the filename got transferred over to the Mac as a Unix application??? I had to manually rename the files on the Windows PC before transferring. Which took ages.

But they are all copied over now.

It seems Windows/Mac networking is not as straightforward as you are led to believe. Unless it has been ironed out in Tiger?????

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
it looks like tiger fixed this. I just transfered 20gigs via airport extreme with no problems!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.