Finder Frustrations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sam-i-am, May 9, 2006.

1. sam-i-am macrumors member

Finder is not showing all the contents on an attached drive. I have a media folder with various folders inside of it and it is showing maybe 2/3 of them. The folder that do not appear do not have a "hidden" attribute or anything.

Terminal does not see the drives either, yet you can navigate to them anyway. So how can I refresh the contents of a folder? There doesn't appear to be any way, and the contents seem to be cached somewhere or something.

I searched around a bit and someone said creating and deleting a folder will refresh the window. This is an NTFS drive, and I can't create folders on it. I also tried "nudge" and "windowsupdate" which I found on version tracker.

I'm a bit surprised that an OS like OSX doesn't have a refresh function. I mean, I know it's pretty bleeding edge technology and all, but MS had it with Windows 3.1

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

NTFS support is at best 50%. You can't write to NTFS at all so you can't create a folder on HTFS.

You don't say which version of OSX you are running?

Also you say "Terminal does not see the drives either, yet you can navigate to them anyway. So how can I refresh the contents of a folder?"

So exactly how are you "navigating" to them.

If you want auto-refreshing Finder windows you need to be using Tiger on HFS+.