Finder FTP - read only?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Engagebot, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Engagebot macrumors regular

Ok, i've read different things different places. Some people say that can read and write to an ftp server mounted from "Connect to Server" in Finder, but i can only get read only access.

So what is the definitive word on this?

Is Finder FTP access read only, or is it just more finicky Panther networking? (or both?)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Re: Finder FTP - read only?

From Panther's documentation in help:

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you could also use terminal, but u need to be familiar with commands so safari is a good way to go if you dont know em

4. Engagebot thread starter macrumors regular

so how do you do it with safari?

if i just type in something like i would in IE on my pc like ftp://ftp.whatever.com , it just brings up a finder window outside safari that i can only read from.

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

My Finder can´t even read.
    It just doesn´t work. Always the same error: Necessary Object not found (Error -43)
    After hitting command-k and entering a totally legal ftp address... bad bad bad.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Works fine for me.

7. Engagebot thread starter macrumors regular

works fine as in you can mount an FTP server, or works fine as in you can read and write to a mounted FTP server?

8. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Works fine for me too (mounting, but not writing). I would LOVE to be able to write to these mounted FTP dirs, and I really don't know why you can't.

My quality of life would increase by a whole order of magnitude if I could just write to the local FTP mount, and not have to rely on Dreamweavers übercrappy FTP manager.

Apple's been feedbacked.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Finder FTP works fine as advertised. That is, it is read-only. It works fine as a feature used to download files from FTP sites. Quite frankly, I would prefer that the Finder allowed reads and writes, but it doesn't. I have other FTP applications for reads and writes. Interarchy actually does what the Finder does plus allowing writes. I have used Anarchie/Interarchy for more than a decade. What's not to love?

10. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Is there any way to mount a external FTP site in the Finder that is not read only? I would like to be able to write files to my FTP site without having to use Transmit or another FTP app or the terminal. Thanks

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Use Interarchy. You can find it here