finder has problems showing folders& files on external drives on mac mini with 10.7.2

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by simon the diver, Dec 14, 2011.

1. simon the diver, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

macrumors newbie

finder has problems showing folders& files on external drives on mac mini with 10.7.2

this is affecting 2 external usb drives both mac formatted - ownership ignored

i click on the drive and see nothing

a refresh of the finder window will make the files appear

if i click on a disclosure arrow, the arrow turns down but no files are displayed

if i double click on the folder it opens that folder in an empty view - a refresh will bring the files visible

interestingly if i eject the drive and plug back it , it will usually display the contents of folders already visited last time but not folders i hadn't looked at - they require a refresh

programs such as iTunes can link to those files when they are not visible in finder

also just realised that if i rename a file it doesn't take - it goes back to its previous name until a finder refresh is done

I'm using a little app called refresh finder to force the refresh

anyone else run into this - any suggestions

cheers folks

Simon

2. macrumors newbie

finder has problems showing folders& files

I'm experiencing the same - and not just with external HDs I may have connected (firewire or USB) but also with the Mini's own HDD.

I'm unable to see inside some folders. Often, when I can see contents, the contents are incomplete - the most recent item is not visible, but it's there.

This can affects any folder that I try to open in Finder.

Double-clicking on a folder icon in Finder reveals an empty folder but the spinning wheel in folder window's bottom right hand corner just keeps spinning.

Leaving the computer alone for an hour sometimes corrects this; a hard restart also corrects this.

If I can't restart for work-flow reasons (often, as a restart can add 10 minutes each time, so I have to delay a restart), I can view those files within folders through other applications (I open, for example, Preview and then go to 'open file' and can see content that way).

But, of course, you can't open files that couldn't be opened in that application ...

I have no solutions yet.

3. macrumors newbie

Did you all find any solution to this problem?

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. macrumors 65816

Partron22

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios