Finder Help has disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chris curran, Feb 10, 2005.

1. chris curran macrumors newbie

I am fairly new at macs. We have a mac osx panther. In the last couple of days when you are in Finder & you click on Help it appears blank. you can type in a question but nothing happpens. Any ideas what I've done or more particularly how to fix it?
    thanks

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

This is a fairly common problem. Deleting the following files (where ~ is your home folder) should fix it.

• ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.help.plist
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.helpui.plist
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.helpviewer.plist
    • ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/

3. chris curran thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder help has returned

Thanks HexMonkey, what a talent you are. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did the first of your three suggestions, but I was a bit nervous about the last as there was a lot of stuff there. I went back to finder help & voila it was back.
    If you are briefly able to tell me what I might have done so I don't do the same thing would be appreciated. I had installed Limewire and was playing some music. I noticed your suggestions has plist at the end.
    thanks again :D

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I don't think there is a specific cause. The files I mentioned just seem to get corrupted occasionally, which stops Help Viewer from working properly. Hopefully Apple will fix the bugs that cause it soon.