Finder Hogs up Free CPU Time

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chancellor, Oct 20, 2004.

1. chancellor macrumors member

chancellor

I'm running CPU% = 100% all the time. Any unused CPU is hogged up by Finder according to top.

I've tried, logging out, restarting, doing a clean boot, forcing a relaunch of Finder, and fixing permissions. Nothing seems to work.

I've had this laptop for 9 months now, so this is a new problem.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz
    Mac OS X 10.3.5

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Odd. The Finder is an application...but that is still odd. Have you tried using the built-in-to OS X application? Activity monitor is what it is called, I believe, in Panther. In Jaguar it was something else...

3. chancellor thread starter macrumors member

chancellor

Yup. Activity Monitor shows Finder eating up all the CPU. I tried killing the process from the Activity Monitor as well. It didn't fix the problem.

4. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

Dont worry, its a little bug and alotta people experience it, including me.

What ususally does the trick is just restarting the finder. You might have to do it several times, depending on how the bug acts on your comp. You might also wanna repair the permissions and the works just to see if that helps.

5. chancellor thread starter macrumors member

chancellor

I've tried that—I've relaunched Finder numerous time, once 30 times in a row. I've noticed no change. I've repaired permissions as well and I regularly do that. Nothing seems to have worked.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

What worries me is that this has killed my battery life and that the heat of a processor running all the time will damage the computer and shorten its life.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might need to reinstall OS X. If you do it the non-clean-install way, it shouldn't take all that long, and should fix your problem. If not, 10.3.6 is in late beta now and should be out fairly soon.