Finder icon dragged onto desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cypher, Jun 15, 2005.

1. cypher macrumors member

I accidentally managed to drag my finder icon off the dock and now it floats on top of everything without any purpose. Nothing happens when i click on it and could'nt find anything in the options to fix it. It disappeared when I restarted the computer but I was just wondering why this happenedn cause now I'm unable to drag it off the dock. Is it just a bug? I run 10.4.1 now but this has happened to me once before when I was running Panther. I've fixed it but still curious as to what purpose it serves.

[​IMG]

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

It's most likely a glitch in the dock graphic driver. A quick fix is to force quit the dock in Activity Viewer.

3. Sogo macrumors 6502

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

The first time I used Mac OS X, I remember trying viciously to get him out of the dock. I still have not found a way to do it and have concluded it's impossible. :eek:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe he's feeling a bit unloved and he's wanting your attention. Have you given him a good pat on the head recently? :p

6. DJRizzo macrumors newbie

Thanks for this! I've had this problem 3 times now. In the past I just rebooted but this time I had a ton of open apps & work and did not want to have to close all the apps. This solution was a great fix without having to close all my other work.

PS: It's actually "Activity Monitor" you open to do this.