Finder in Panther v. slow in displaying thumbnails in a folder of over 50 image files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zoowatch, May 1, 2005.

1. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

I am using 1GHz PB with 1GB memory running Panther (10.3.9)

I have problems with Finder showing thumbnail previews in a folder of more than 50 JPEG image files. Finder is really slow in this and it takes about 7 minutes to view thumbnails of 200 images in a folder. In Finder, I nagivate and view windows in the icon mode (icon size: 128x128) and I tick "show icon preview" in the "view options". Even a low-end Wintel system with Windows XP can give me a preview of these in a snap and that's what I'm looking for.

I have tried to index my HD and repair permission using Disk Utility but there is no improvement. Will Tiger makes things more speedy if I wish to view thumbnail of images using Finder? (I prefer not to use third-party software for such a simple task) It really embarrasses me everytime I have to go to a Celeron PC with Win XP to view a CD containing images taken by a digital camera using Windows Explorer

I have read all the discussion threads at Apple website relating to this issue. But so far, there isn't a solution to that (yet).

Does anyone here also experience the same problem?

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Hi - I know exactly what you mean (see my old thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=77910&highlight=tkermit ) .

I'm afraid anything else than upgrading to Tiger won't change much, Panther's image preview handling is just sad.

Fortunately this area has been MUCH improved in Tiger. Image previews are now displayed almost instantly (at least on my Mac Mini 1,42ghz 1gb ram) :) .

3. Zoowatch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response

I really hope that in Tiger, things will improve.
    In my opinion, displaying thumbnail preview
    of image files should be a basic thing that
    an OS must do.

If my dual 2.7 PM arrives next week and
    there is still such a problem despite Tiger,
    I will be really disappointed because I still
    cannot completely rely on Apple's top-of-the-line
    machine and have move to a Wintel Celeron PC
    from time to time just to get such a simple task done.