Finder not responding and Sophos Anti-virus not running

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Becs86, Mar 29, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2013
    Hi guys,

I am not computer savvy at all so I have no idea what the problem is with my Mac or how to fix it. I've got a Macbook pro version 10.6.8.

I ran software updates yesterday - nothing unusual happened but I didn't restart my computer after the updates had completed. Today, I got a message saying Sophos Anti-virus not running and also Finder is not responding.

I have no idea if these 2 issues are connected or not and not sure how to get Finder working again. I haven't run out of space on the hard drive which I see could be a cause for this.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated!!
  2. macrumors 603

First, get rid of Sophos, anti virus is not needed on a Mac, Sophos can increase the risk, read more about it here:

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

Next, download the combo update from Apple and reapply the Update, it will most likely fix the problem.
    But, before you do remove Sophos first.
  3. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    As justperry say's, you do not need or want an AV package on your Mac...If you really feel that you must, then use the free ClamAV from the Mac App Store...It doesn't run in real time and won't mess up other things, but I have been running Macs for years without ever installing an AV package of any kind, and without any issues at all.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks for your advice!

How do I remove Sophos? I can't get into Applications to uninstall it there....
  5. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2013
    Those instructions say to launch finder - that is the problem - I can't launch finder because it is stuck on Not responding
  7. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Jun 26, 2012
    You said you didn't reboot after installing updates yesterday, but didn't mention anything about trying it after this problem started. If you haven't yet, reboot. If that fixes the problem, get rid of Sophos using the method posted above.
  8. macrumors 603

You have the dock don't you, click onSystem Preferences, after launch go to Users & Groups, make a new Admin User Account, logout and into new User, is the Finder running there, if so you then can go ahead with deleting Sophos.
    After you done this log into old User Account, did this solve the problem, if not go to the new User again and Open Terminal type or paste:

Suso rm /Users/****/Library/Preferences/
    Hit enter
    Enter password.
    Log out and into old User, did this work?

**** = your normal user account name
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2013
    I created a new Admin user - logged in and Finder does not work in there either
  10. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Restart in Safe Mode and try it.