"Finder not Running" and related issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dxjaga, Mar 27, 2005.

1. dxjaga macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2005
    For some strange reason, the Finder window is not working on my Powerbook G4. Not only that, the only time horizontal bar at the top of the screen is visible is when I activate a program. Also, all the icons and files I had on the desktop does not appear there anymore, although I know they're still in the desktop folder and I can access them that way. I tried the archive and install routine but everytime 8% of OS X has been installed, some error occurs and the installation is stopped dead in its track. I'm not sure what to make of it all. Any help in resolving this matter is much obliged. Thank you!
  2. musicfiend macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2006
    Finder Not Running

I found this message left by user 'dxjaga' describing the same problem I have recently encountered, but can't seem to locate a solution to this:confused. :confused: Fortunatly I have a backup of my system, although this would mean losing 4 weeks of work. I'd like to resurect the system that is causing the problem, but at the moment can only think that to solve this situation would be to pick apart those emails, favourites and documents and transfer the data over to the working system, before erasing the partician. :eek: Can anyone help me with a solution to this situation? :( I would also like to understand what exactly has happened. :)
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Unplug all peripherals and make sure there's at least 8GB of free space on the hard drive. Then try running fsck. :)