FINDER Problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by firewire2001, Dec 30, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Hey all...

I'm currently running Build 6G30 (10.2.3) on my mac and have been having a very odd problem lately - I cannot move icons around on the desktop.

I let the problem be for about a month because I'm not using this computer too often (it's meant to be for travel - a PBG4), however it has become more of a nuisance as it extends to many other programs such as iTunes, Internet Explorer, and several other programs. In iTunes I cannot move songs to different playlists which make it almost impossible to burn a CD of one song because you would need to de-select the checkboxes of every other song. The limitations in IE include, but do not end at, not being able to do basic functions like dragging the address bar to the desktop to create and icon, or being able to drag images to the desktop to copy them.

These types of basic functions are also limited in other programs.

I am considering simply reinstalling jaguar, but that would be a great task for me now since my father has a whole lot of files and settings that would have to be tended to since he primarily uses this computer for travel - where he has many network settings including a VPN setup that was like hell to setup.

Upon checking my console.log file i found this line:

Dec 30 10:03:28 *****s-Computer WindowServer[192]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x5507 for over 1.000000 seconds
    That could have something to do with this, however, I'm not too sure. Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    log in to your computer as the root user and see if you are able to perform these functions. if you can put things on the desktop, edit playlists, etc., open disk utility (while in root user mode) and select "repair permissions". reboot your computer and the problem should be solved. 10.2 seems to alter permissions quite frequently and it can lead to all kinds of bizarre problems. if this does not work, let us know.
  3. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I tried that out after your suggestion; and of course restarted, but to no avail... Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance...
  4. kenkooler macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    Mexico City
    I would reinstall Jaguar with the Backup and Install option so you don't have to reconfigure the computer.