Finder question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sonofslim, Feb 28, 2006.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    Does anyone recall that back in the days of OS 9, you could create an alias on the desktop from an item on an ejectable disk, eject the drive, and the alias would disappear from the desktop? And if you remounted the disk somewhere else, your item would appear on that desktop?

Is there a way to get that functionality under OS X? I'm carrying around all these flash drives and it would be great if I could pop one in and, presto, get a shortcut on the desktop to a specific file. I tried creating an alias and dragging it to the desktop, but it stayed after I ejected the disk and did not appear when I mounted it on another computer.
  2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    thats a really good question, idk, but i do miss that function from the old days.
  3. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I think the problem is that volumes used to have their own desktop folders. You could move something from an ejectable volume to the OS 9 desktop without copying it, now anything you dragged to the desktop is moved/copied to your /User/Desktop/ directory.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that this doesn't work now. What you might try to do is create a folder somewhere with your aliases, keep that in your Dock and then right/ctrl-click on the folder to access your files when you have the right card mounted. I know it's a bit of a workaround, hopefully someone else has another answer...