Finder RAM Leak?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 8thDegreeSavage, Nov 14, 2002.

1. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

I have heard people mention this.

Here is my situation..i use Aquamon to check my ram and what not.

And if i leve my comp on at night with iTunes running(only app running) i wake up to find my comp is using about 950mb of my 1024mb ram availible...if i leave no apps running at all...i get the same thing...as soon as im out of free ram my comp slows down and starts into the VM pretty hardcore....whats the deal?

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Are you running any shareware/services that may qualify as an app? In OSX the Finder is an app, the dock is an app, most services are apps, basically, everything is an app.

A lot of the shareware titles may not be thoroughly debugged due to lack of staff and funds. Less likely to leak is a service like apache, samba, etc.

Here's what my stats look like after a day of serious usage, 1.21GB inactive:

1:11AM up 1 day, 2:02, 2 users, load averages: 0.89, 0.77, 0.74
    [#######:~] #######% top

Processes: 64 total, 3 running, 61 sleeping... 169 threads 01:11:43
    Load Avg: 0.93, 0.75, 0.69 CPU usage: 58.0% user, 17.8% sys, 24.2% idle
    SharedLibs: num = 111, resident = 29.1M code, 2.54M data, 8.80M LinkEdit
    MemRegions: num = 8040, resident = 462M + 10.9M private, 144M shared
    PhysMem: 146M wired, 635M active, 1.21G inactive, 1.97G used, 31.2M free
    VM: 5.51G + 66.9M 24699(0) pageins, 11228(0) pageouts

3. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

mine goes up to 800-900 "used" even with no activity...no other apps runnign except Finder and Aquamon(the monitor app)

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well...monitoring the memory usage isn't always going to give you an accurate picture.

i used to get upset that my iBook seems to always be at 10-20MB free RAM when I have 640MB. It's using over 500MB RAM at all times!?!?!?

then i started checking my pagefiles. I hardly ever have more than one. I think maybe once did I see that I had two. Never more. If yours is the same, I wouldnt really worry about it.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Open process viewer and see what program is using the large percentage of ram.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hyuk, maybe AquaMon itself is the culprit and is sucking up all that RAM... :D

irmongoose

7. totally_fly macrumors member

Yesterday I observed some very strange behavior from Word; I got a "Word does not have enough memory or hard disk space to perform this operation" error message. I quit all my apps excluding the Finder and got the same error trying to open a word document... very peculiar behavior... I logged out and it was fine.. but i've never experienced something like this before 10.2.2
    I have 512 megs of ram, but I assure you I wasn't using it all.. I really should have opened Process Viewer oh well.. I didn't really think it was an issue with the Finder but quitting and re-opening Word had no effect. (i should have looked into it, oh well)

Could this be the same problem: the finder hogging ram???

Btw my computer never turns off (or sleeps, I host a webserver with some of my Flash creations on it http://achkara.ath.cx:82/flash/ for anyone who is interested.) so it encounters the same OverNight issue 8thDegreeSavage mentioned

:confused:

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since loading Mac OS X v. 10.2, I've noticed that VM hits are constantly low within only a few hours of a re-boot. Memory overall is okay and the system is generally smooth, but it looks as though the plan for using VM had been altered radically, for better or worse.

After running top, I found that both machines have about 512MB in use out of 1.0 GB and 1.5 GB. The only significant application I have running all the time is folding@home.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

As reported on www.xlr8yourmac.com on 11/14/02.

Tips on CPU Cycle Hogging/Slowdown after OS X 10.2.2 update - (from some of the latest reports on the 10.2.2 feedback page here)

(added 11/14/2002)
    " I too have experienced the extreme slowdown of my G4 quicksilver when leaving it running. To try to alleviate the problem I ran the Disk Permission Fix, Disk Warrior and Plus Optimizer. Later last night the system was again slowing down, and looking at the CPU Monitor & Processor Viewer did not help eliminate the possibilities, other than to tell me the system itself was taking over (lots of red in CPU Monitor.)

For no other reason than the mouse was extremely slow, I unplugged the Microsoft Two Button Laser Mouse (reverted to the Apple Mouse) then took all the items that involved contextual menus out of play. These were the MS Mouse Helper in the Login Items, the Contactual Menu plug-ins & Application Enhancers of Stuffit, Copy Paste, Grab & Go, Quick Access, and Labels X. These are all the goodies I like to use via the Right Mouse Button. After 6 hours there was no slow down of the system.

I then went back to the MS Mouse, and stuck the Stuffit expander back in the Contextual Menus. As of this writing the Slowdown has not re-appeared. I will continue to slowly put the additions back in to narrow down the culprit. I know this will take some more time, but I thought I'd pass this information along such that others with the same problem might get some relief before resorting to re-installing everything.
    Gerry G. "

Another report noting that addon software (HP printer drivers) may be a factor:

(added 11/14/2002)
    " Mike,
    Just sent you an email about the slow down with my iMac 17" G4 800. Ran across a discussion at Apple support. Seems to be a common problem, most people are reporting that HP drivers may be the cause. A lot of all-in-one users, d135 and d145, have removed the printer software and are reporting a fix to the slow down.
    doug
    Doug's earlier mail on the slowdown follows)
    Mike,
    ...updated 17" iMac 800, everything seems ok after restart. As another iMac user pointed out, I also have the next day SLOOOWWW down until I restart. I usually run Folding@Home 24/7 and have never had a problem. After 10.2.2 when I come to the computer the next day, the Dock essentially freezes for a few seconds and then moves and refreezes. This stop and start activity is throughout the finder and applications. I ran process viewer and it didn't really seem as if anything was taking over the CPU. I have repaired permissions and that doesn't seem to help. "

I originally suspected 3rd party USB drivers and/or other system addons (I remember past reports on some HP USB printer drivers eating CPU cycles over time - although one reader said he didn't see that problem with 10.2.1 with the HP drivers.)

Hopefully the above may be of help to others that have seen this problem. (I don't have any addons like USB/controller/scanner/printer drivers, etc. installed on my PB G4/800 which has very low CPU usage in 10.2.2, and I suspected 3rd party software may be a factor in some other reports.) The only 3rd party addon I'm running on the PB G4 is ASM (apps switcher menu) which has not been a problem in 10.2.2.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

On my Dual/GHz/DDR with 1Gig of ram after one hour of use while running Chimera, Mail, and Calculator my system is only using 278MB of Ram. This seems about normal to me.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Okay after 2 hours the Ram useage for the same programs open has increased to 318MB. Quiting all the programs and reopening them only alleviates 10MB or so. So there is definitely a problem for everyone I guess. I'll have to leave my computer on over night and see if the problem worsens as others has.

I do not have any system hacks or enhancers added. Nor do I have any add ons for printers, scanners, etc..

12. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

"A problem for everyone..."

Not a problem for me. I have an HP printer, OS X 10.2.2, and 512 MB RAM on my TiBook 667. I have no slowdowns even with my computer up and running for the past 3 days. I leave it on overnight running SETI@home.

Keep looking for the culprit. Process Viewer is a good way to go. So is PTHCPUMonitor.

Chris

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Re: "A problem for everyone..."

what the hell??!!! 'PTHUCPUMontior'? what is that?:confused:

i have the same problem with Aquamon showing me all of those types of RAM stats but i just don't worry about it. although something else weird did happen yesterday, the Dock.app quit twice within about 3 hours. and the Finder also just quit while i was doing stuff. weird eh?:eek: :confused: :)

14. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Re: "A problem for everyone..."

PTHCPUMonitor is a cool little piece of freeware. It's primary job is to sit in the menu bar and let you know CPU usage. However, it also has a very good process viewer. It will allow you to see all processes and kill them, if necessary. I like it because it is always readily accessible.

Chris