Finder Revisited

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dragula53, Feb 17, 2006.

1. dragula53 macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    Hey guys,

I thought I'd start a thread because I can't seem to find one about the finder in the first 5 or so pages of search.

I'm really just not pleased with the way the finder deals with networking. I hate how I get a beach ball when a server disconnects ungracefully, or when a large directory's contents are loaded, or a million other reasons finder beachballs. If it would load what it can see and continue loading other things in the background, that would be beautiful.

I recently set up an LDAP server in my apartment, just because I could, with network home directories, and the whole shebang. command line likes the directories just fine. finder gags on them.

I really wanted to have a common home directory, but I went back to local drives today because finder's performance is just abhorrent.

Anybody have any constructive ways to make finder's networking better?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm not sure how to make it better, but I'll throw in another pet peeve of mine: the fact that Finder hangs until a drive spins up. It'd be nice to do other things while it's waiting on a given drive to come online. That, and the fact that it spins 'em up one at a time. I have six (two inside, four connected), and when something wants to look at all the drives, I might was well eat lunch.
  3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    I hate that too, My external drive goes to sleep and when I click on it or use the open command is some apps it just locks up till it come online. I was forced to uncheck "put drives to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver.
  4. dragula53 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    another thing

Finder has to load an entire directory before it displays anything, which is why I think it beachballs...

but there is no refresh command for a directory either. so when contents aren't displayed properly, there is no way to fix it other than resetting the finder completely. ooh I hate that.