Finder shortcut to move / cut files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spike099, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Spike099 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am someone who likes to use the keyboard as much as possible rather than the mouse. I really like the column view in finder. However when I download something for example I like move it to a sorted folder usually. In that scenario I would then be forced to use the mouse to move the file, or copy using :apple: -c and pasting it in the appropriate folder and then going back and deleting the file. On a pc you can simply hit alt-x to cut and then you can paste it anywhere. I want this but in finder. Anyone?

2. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

3. Spike099 thread starter macrumors regular

Almost

FileCutter is almost what I want, but you still have to use the mouse to accesse the context menu. I am looking for something that I can select the file, press maybe :apple:-x to cut/move it than :apple:-c to place it in another folder.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

AFAIK, there is no such command within the Finder. I use FileCutter to do this because it's the only method I've ever found to do it....

If you're a Quicksilver user, you could set up a trigger to take the currently selected file and "Move To..." and then you could type the name of the folder you want to move it to. When I download torrents to my desktop, I have a keyboard shortcut (Cmd+Ctrl+Shift+M) that moves the file to my ~/Torrents directory.