Finder uses 80% of CPU when Computer is idle

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rabatjoie, Nov 10, 2005.

1. rabatjoie macrumors member

Jun 21, 2003

I have a 667 Mhz G4 Powerbook (DVI), 512 MB RAM, running OS X 10.3.9. Because of poor Video performance I looked into the Activity Monitor and noticed that CPU usage is constantly 100%, with the finder taking up about 80% slightly varying over time. The the relation of System/User for CPU usage is more or less 60/40.

Does anyone have an Idea what might cause this? Restart / Shutdown doesn't help. CPU usage is always 100%, also with all other applications but finder turned off.

I'd really appreciate your comments! Thanks in advance,

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Glad I'm not the only one!

I get this a lot, too. To fix it, I restart the Finder or kill the process (in Terminal).

I haven't got a direct correlation to what causes it, but I suspect it has something to do with iPhoto. More often than not, I discover this has happened shortly after working with iPhoto... one of the reasons that I don't use it anymore. It was already slow enough to begin with...

It got so bad that I had gotten into a habit of running Activity Monitor full-time so I could detect when it happened.
  3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Have you tried all the usual diagnostic methods, such as repairing permissions, running fsck, checking for damaged preference files?
  4. rabatjoie thread starter macrumors member

Jun 21, 2003
    thanks for the quick responses - repairing disk permissions seems to have solved the problem for now! strange enough, almost all of the broken permissions were in connection with the internet explorer - and there was also one in connection with iPhoto (perhaps interesting for you, notjustjay).
  5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    The real question here is why are you using Internet Explorer? :eek:
  6. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    Yeesh...agreed! Why are you using that? Try other browsers like Camino or Safari...they'll make you really enjoy web browsing.