Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a1dipship

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Finder Window Closes when i "Eject" Drives or Dmgs

anyone know why this could be happening?

I press the Finder icon and a new window appears but its a bug right? Its been happening for ages but ive only got round to asking now.

anyone know how to fix it?

a1dipship

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
window not opened by dmg...

im talking about my main finder window where i open dmgs or plug in an external drive. when i eject them the MAIN and ONLY finder window disappears and i have to click the dock icon to get it to reappear.

a bug / glitch on my comp.

Finder closing or disappearing. . .

Ditto here.

Only today did I realize this was not normal. I was talking to a fellow Mac user (MBP) and mentioned that I found the fact that Finder closes whenever I eject anything a bit annoying.

It closes when I eject my CF card, CD, etc.

Also, if I burn a CD or DVD through finder and walk away, finder closes (actually I don't have to walk away, it will close with me looking at it ;-).

This latter issue is causing me problems because burning subsequent CD/DVD's is problematic, the system thinks there is an application still using the CD/DVD (after it is out and replaced).

Anyone else?

whidbeyben

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
West Coast
Ditto- smells like a bug

Since upgrading to 10.5, this happens frequently when ejecting an external USB drive, and mounted disk images. The open finder window closes unexpectedly. Why can't we report these bugs to Apple more directly? Not a critical malfunction, but clearly a bug that should be addressed with 10.5.x

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
if you got to the finder window by dbl clicking the drive, then eject the drive-the finder window will close. that's not a bug. if you're experiencing something different, you may have a bug.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I don't know how long Whidbeben has been on Mac but it's been that way since the 10.0. It's not a bug, if you open the Finder from the from the drive (as the other forum member mentioned) upon ejection the Finder will close because you are not really opening the Finder, you are opening the drive. If you have an existing Finder window open and eject your drive from there the Finder stays open as it's suppose to.

I think I nailed it down. For me at least, I don't open Finder by clicking on the drive. I just do Command-N for a new window. If the drive I am about to eject is selected when I eject it, Finder closes. If I have something else selected (say Documents) when I eject a drive, Finder remains open. This works for me. Its a bit counter-intuitive, but it works.

This is a daily problem for me and my CF cards from my DSLR.

I haven't figured out the DVD Burning issue though.

~Toby

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
I think I nailed it down. For me at least, I don't open Finder by clicking on the drive. I just do Command-N for a new window. If the drive I am about to eject is selected when I eject it, Finder closes. If I have something else selected (say Documents) when I eject a drive, Finder remains open. This works for me. Its a bit counter-intuitive, but it works.

This is a daily problem for me and my CF cards from my DSLR.

I haven't figured out the DVD Burning issue though.

This is definitely a bug in El Kapitan 10.11.5. I get the same behavior. It doesn't matter how the finder window is created. If I eject a mounted volume (thumb drive, dmg, external disk drive) with the volume selected the finder window closes. If something else is selected the window stays open. This annoying. Happens that I'm doing something else, notice that the volume is mounted, but I don't need it anymore, click the eject button and presto I lose the context I'm working in and have to go back and reopen the window I was working in. Now if I could just remember to not select the volume before I eject it things would be fine, but old habits die hard and fingers fly before thought catches up.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
yeah - not a "bug", per se.
Just a (normal) behavior by the finder.
That has worked that way since the beginning of OS X, AFAIK. Notice that the rest of this thread is from early 2008, when Leopard was the active OS X system.

If you have a finder window open, and select a mounted drive, the finder window displays the contents of the selected drive.
If you eject the drive at that time, then the finder window closes.
Completely normal behavior for the OS X finder.

If you don't want the finder window to close, then do this some other way. There's several work arounds, if that's the behavior that you want.
Of course, you will have to also discover a way to prevent your "muscle memory" from undoing your potential work-arounds. :D
One possible choice would be in Finder Preferences. Uncheck the setting "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows"

Reactions: CreatorCode

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
lol... it is a bug. just because they never fix it and it can be obtusely rationalized as a feature doesn't make it one. why should the finder window close after you ejected a drive? since when does eject drive also mean close the window? it's just ridiculous to be honest that this has never been addressed.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Please read the other posts in this thread before you answer.
Just to repeat, (redundantly), if a finder window is the directory or folder of the drive that you eject, the window closes when you eject the volume.
What other result would you expect?
It's not a "feature", and not a "work-around", it's just the way that OS X/macOS Finder has always worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.