Finder Window keeps randomly closing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blahbrah, Jan 17, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,
    I accidentally put my documents folder in my external and it ends up it cut and paste it when I meant for it to copy.
    I moved it back to my internal but now every time I right click on something the window closes.

Thanks for any help

2. macrumors regular

Hmm...it sounds like some Finder files may be corrupted but I am not sure what. Maybe someone else has an idea before we try anything too drastic?

3. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

When you right click what window closes? Any window open? I don't really know why right clicking should close anything, but let's get to the bottom of this. You copied your Documents to an external, and then copied it back? I don't quite get that as when you copy a folder to another drive it should duplicate to the other drive, not actually move the folder. Please give more details!

4. thread starter macrumors regular

ok, what I did was I dragged and dropped the documents from the sidebar to the external. I assumed it would copy but moved everything to the external. I messed around some more and right clicking on any window causes it to close, but it seems to only be on the third right click.

Also when I transfered it the icon on documents changed to a regular folder.

5. macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Try going into system monitor and close the finder which will open it and reset it.

6. macrumors 601

mjstew33

System Monitor... :confused: What planet are you from? :rolleyes: :p

What I think he's trying to say is Apple -> "Force Quit..." -> Click Finder -> Relaunch

..or..

Spotlight -> Activity Monitor -> Click Finder -> Quit Process (Big red stop sign ;) :p)

7. thread starter macrumors regular

relaunching didn't work. the problem still shows up. Thanks for the help so far though.

8. macrumors regular

For the record I've had this same problem when moving files on an external drive. I don't know why it is happening. I'm new to macs so I don't have a solution just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one with this problem. My external drive is formatted to FAT32 BTW and tends to happen when I move a really large number of files all at once.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

mine's hfs+ I believe. that's the way owc drives come right?

in any case I think I'm gonna reinstall the os tommorrow, it kept crashing anyway

10. macrumors 6502

11. thread starter macrumors regular

and I just reinstalled osx. Oh well the os was acting weird anyway.

I reinstalled stuffit and the problem seemed to have not come back but I'll keep this site in mind if it does.

Thanks I appreciate it