finder wont find, spotlight wont work either

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nickknocker, Feb 7, 2007.

1. nickknocker macrumors newbie

did i kill my mac? i used to be able to search in finder or spotlight, and now it just keeps searching. it never tells me the files cant be found, it just...sits there.

i'm not sure what could have done this. i dont move my system files around or anything crazy like that. has anyone ever encountered this before?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you restarted?
    Try opening disk utility, in Applications->Utilities and using 'repair disk permissions' on your hard disk...

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

This happened to me once with Spotlight (cmd + space). It would highlight the icon in the upper-right corner, but nothing would pop up. However, my finder worked, and Spotlight fixed itself without a restart or anything after a half hour. :confused:

Like psychofreak said, try restarting and repairing disk permissions.

4. nickknocker thread starter macrumors newbie

yay!!

i had tried restarting and all that before, but i didnt know that using the repair disc permissions option would be related to that at all. it worked, thanks!

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might also try rebuilding the Spotlight database next time, by going to System Preferences->Spotlight, then making your entire harddrive 'private', then back to public again. This will re-index the database.