finder won't open

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris curran, Jul 28, 2005.

1. chris curran macrumors newbie

Hi can any one help? on start up finder appears at the top near the apple icon, the dock appears, nothing appears on the desktop & the beachball appears. I can open up things in the dock, except finder. Any ideas? :confused:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. chris curran thread starter macrumors newbie

finder won't open

I can't delete any preference files as when I click on finder the beachball is there. I'll try holding s down on start up but I won't really know what I am doing.
    thanks for the suggestion

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I actually just came back to delete that post because it wasn't a very good idea.

Do you have Disk Utility in your Dock? What about System Preferences?

5. chris curran thread starter macrumors newbie

finder won't open

I can get into system preferences but I can't see disk utility

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, in Sys Prefs, make a new account, then log into it and see whether the problem persists.

7. chris curran thread starter macrumors newbie

ican get into another user already so do i still need to start up a new account. If i switch to another existing account this interent connection will cut out. if i create a new one from my log in wil i stay connected?
    sorry to be a pain

i forgot to mention that previously i tried another user and the problem didn't happen there just with my account

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Right, seems like the problem is specific to your account. Log into the second account, then go into /Users/Account 1/Library/Preferences and delete (or rename) the file called com.apple.finder.plist (you probably need to be using an admin account to do this), then log back into your normal account and see whether it works.

9. chris curran thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not having much luck the library/ pref folder in my user ac doesn't highlight the finder plist
    if i open up a an application i am able to get to the hard drive but some things aren't highlighted. i read something about creating a root ac as this is more powerful than admin i'll give this a go as the beacvhball is beginning to bug me.
    chris

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Do it as Nermal said. Create an admin acc, log in, go to your user library/preference fodler(the one that doesn't work) and delete the finder.plist. That should work.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You don't have Terminal.app (or the Applications folder/Utilities folder) in your Dock?

Cause with Terminal it's very easy. Just type:

rm /Users/<your short user name>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.

Also. No need for a new account. Just boot into Single User Mode (cmd-S on start-up, isn't it?), then type the command above, enter, then just type reboot, and again enter.

(Remember you can auto-complete with TAB, e.g. Type / U TAB and you get /Users/ and can type the first letter in your name or even just TAB directly if you're the only user.)

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If those are missing from the dock but Safari is there, telnet://foo (then open a new window in Terminal) is a quick & dirty way to get in.

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Cool... didn't know that... :)

14. chris curran thread starter macrumors newbie

finder won't open

I'm still not having much luck. this is what I got when I got into terminal via safari. (I've now placed it into my dock)

rm /Users/<chriscurran>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
    -bash: chriscurran: No such file or directory

Yet when I open up Word I can see that file greyed out. This is how I get around the applications via Word & file open as I can get into the hard drive etc as none of these are on the desktop its just a blue screen.

ps does it matter if my user ac ( the problematic ac) is an admin should I change to standard?
    Did I mention that I can't get into the my utilities folder when I log in to another admin ac as it has a red negative icon is this because im logged in or that its an admin ac?

:confused: :confused:

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you are actually typing in those angle brackets, don't.
    That shouldn't matter for this. The Finder is supposed to work for everyone :)
    Which utilities folder? The one in Applications, or inside a user folder?

16. cu8sfan macrumors newbie

Rename /Library/Application Support/DivXNetworks

I had the exact same problem with Leopard after downloading the newest updates. Here's what helped for me:

Rename /Library/Application Support/DivXNetworks to /Library/Application Support/DivXNetworks.prev. I found the solution here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5650727&#5650727.

Good luck!