Finders New Metal Look

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TigerPRO, Sep 21, 2003.

1. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I haven't seen anyone post on this, but to me, it's one of the most important things I've noticed with Panther. The change from the beautiful, smooth, and blended look of the aqua Finder, to a the new chunky, stuck out, brushed metal style almost makes me want to stay at with Jaguar. The one thing that has really made me admire Mac OS X was the aqua GUI. So when I first checked out the the Preview of Panther on Apples site, my heart sank when I saw The new Finder. The metal look is alright for applications, but to embed it into the operating system really disappoints me. So much I even sent them feedback suggesting they add a pane to the system preferences to select your finder interface. What do the rest of your think about this? I've barely heard anything from other people on this topic.

2. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I too prefer aqua.
    Likely there will be a solution for keeping an aqua interface for Finder.

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the metal finder looks really bad. i've seen mockups of an aqua 10.3 finder and it's beautiful. it makes no sense at all why apple would choose metal for the finder. they've been on a metal craze lately, i think every new application they've released in the past few months has been metal (safari, finder, font book), none of which warrant the metal appearance. sherlock is the only app i know that went from metal to aqua (9-10.0, although it was metal again in some early 10.2 builds), but i hope they decide to change some other apps as well.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont worry to much about it. if you dont like it there will be plenty of themes you can use to make it look however you want.

iJon

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i thought the metal finder look was crap at first too. you'll get used to it, just like the rest of us.

or maybe soon themers will find a way to change things up for us.

6. gorman macrumors member

If you haven't used it yet, I think you'll feel differently about it once you have. Although I always preferred the Aqua look, I truly do like the metal look of the new Finder after having used it for quite some time.

Aside from the looks, the refinements to Finder also make a world of difference.

7. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

That Could Be True..

I'll take that advice. It's probably true I'll get use to it, and everyone else, but change is always hard. However, for a new user, at first glance, one would probably like the aqua look better (it's not as "loud"). I just get the sensation Apple feels they to change things all the time. I would say, if it's not broken don't fix it. Sometimes they get something really cool, but they change it simply because "it's been long enough". For the love of pizza, if you find something good, hang on to it!

8. cubist macrumors 68020

I think it's metaphorically wrong. Look at the top of Safari. Buttons, OK, it is logical to press buttons. But then there is a bookmark bar which looks like it's engraved in metal, and tabs hanging down which are also engraved. There isn't even the slightest indication that you should or could click on them, until you mouse over them. That's undeniably, unquestionably poor interface design.

9. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think it would be a gr8 idea if Apple were to allow the user to choose which theme he/she would like to use.
    I prefer the Metal look, but I can understand why many like the icy-cool look of Aqua.
    So, why not add an option in the "Systems Preferences".. something like "Appearance" (yeah, as in OS 9).
    Also making it easier to add your own "skins".....

11. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I HATE the metalized Finder...

pleeeeaaaase Steve, give us the option to choose either metal OR the simple Aqua GUI...

vSpacken

12. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Well, I love it and think it looks GREAT! Can't wait to get my hands on Panther.
    :p

13. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

if you can do better, then go ahead.

i don't mean to cause a ruckus here, but seriously...give a little background info on yourself if you feel that your strong feelings toward this should really be regarded. or else make a better looking interface for us all.