Finding any kind of compressed file.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jim p, Dec 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got a 3-million file backup disk with everything from the last 10 years on it. There are several compressed/archived files I want to find, but I can't remember their names, dates, or even the format used on them.

Is there any search app which can find any compressed file, not just, say, zips or rars. I know I could search by name but there are dozens of archive/compression formats [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archive_formats], and it would take the rest of my life to do it that way.

So, is there a search tool for any and all formats for compressed/archived files? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Jim P

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there's nothing that will search specifically for all known compressed file formats. You'd have to specify what file extensions you're searching for.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

And also, "aarrgh." I hope you are wrong, but I'd bet you're right. Just hoping.

Does seem strange though. You can use various things like Easy Find and Houdah Spot to look for image files, or text files....

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even the searches in Finder for "Kind is Movie" or "Kind is Image" doesn't find all file types that could represent such files.