Finding dead Pixels...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AP_piano295, Aug 9, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Yes another pixel thread because it has got me so creeped out. How obvious are dead pixels because my family has two lcd displays and two laptops and as far as I know none have dead pixels. Friends across the street have an iMac g5 no dead pixels. Friends down the street have two imac g4s and two ibooks and no dead pixels, other friends down the street have an lcd monitor and no dead pixels as far as I know I have never seen a dead pixel. Or have I and they are just very hard to spot and not at all obvious.

*note when playing battlefield two and I get shot end up looking at a blue sky sometimes I see a black dot but that is the only thing ive seen that seems like a dead pixel*

Im just wondering this because I have read posts where people talk about finding a couple of computers in a row that have dead pixels and it seems unlikely with all the lcd screens I have seen not a single one has a dead pixel.

edit**I have just been told by my dad that you can ocassionally bring a dead pixel back to life by gently rubbing it with a soft cloth. any one herd of this?
  2. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    From my experience (which consists of about 6 LCD screens) dead pixels are not that common (not rare either though). Also, there is a difference between a "dead" pixel (which nothing happens on that spot) and a "stuck" pixel, which is stuck on some one state. My girlfriend has a pixel stuck on red, but it doesn't bother her and me too much. A good way to check for pixel problems is to use something like Appleworks (I used the drawing part) and make the screen all black and then all white. You should be able to notice if there is anything wrong. Some people, like myself, are not bothered by a few mixed up pixels and don't notice it much. Others find it very annoying.

And I have never heard of anyone rubbing out dead pixels.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I read about an app in an older thread called Screen Query and it essentially runs through a variety of screen colors to help you ID dead/stuck pixels. Also, I have heard of rubbing stuck/dead pixels back to life-- I tried it, because I noticed one tiny blemish on my iMac; no problems now. :D
  4. RHMMMM macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    I have encountered tons of dead pixels. Apple, fortunately, has good quality control usually on their screens - laptop and desktops. I bought a Thinkpad when they first debuted the 1400x1050 SXGA+ screens back in 2000 and it had 3 stuck green pixels right in the upper center of the screen - it was awful and they weren't going to replace it! I finally got it fixed but the new screen they installed had a faint red stuck pixel.

Through manufacturing innovations and better quality checking, dead/stuck pixels have been reduced and the Dell Latitude I'm using now has a 1400x1050 screen that's flawless. I've had dead pixels on Sony digital camera screens, my JVC camcorder LCD and an LCD I bought - almost everything with LCDs that I buy seem to have flawed screens, but things I've gotten more recently are better.

Basically, pixels can be stuck on a certain color, or can display some colors and not others, or they can be totally dead and black (not active).

Sometimes you can rub them back into working order, but most of the time, in my experience, they reappear or don't respond to rubbing at all.
  5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    dead pixels are basically little black spots on the screen. i have two dead pixels on my dell screen but only for the red color. even with the software mentioned above they are hard to see. in normal operation there is no way to find/see them.

stuck pixels are bright spots in one or the other color. they are more easy to see and therefore can be annoying.

there is a rumor that you can rub around a stuck or dead pixel to fix it. some people claim it works, other say it doesn't work, others again say it only works on stuck pixels. if the pixel isn't really very bad i wouldn't rub around it. you may damage the screen.
  6. md11 macrumors member

Jul 26, 2005
    Check your screen

To check your screen, run this program, which shows your screen all white/black/red/green and blue.
  7. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    So when playing a game and I look up at the sky and see a black dot that is a pixel that doesnt display a particular color.. i get it